• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr1 vs ddr2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

if i go with a 939 setup i will obviously get ddr1 memory @ 1gig.

same goes for if i get an AM2 setup.

any of those setups will have a 7900GS card. if i go AM2 the processor will most likely be a 3800 x2. if i go with a 939 setup, most likely i'll get an opty 165 (havent decided if i'll go with a 3800 x2 on 939)

question is: exactly what performance gain do i get if i go with a ddr2 memory setup as opposed to a ddr1 setup? assuming everything else is equal (processor, vid card etc)

will i see any real-world performance increases with ddr2?

Hardly, if at all. AM2 vs 939 isn't worth the upgrade. If you are upgrading from a pre-939 socket, go AM2 if you are buying ram- strictly for the reason DDR2 is more future proof. If you are going to reuse existing DDR, go 939.

drshivas said:
Hardly, if at all. AM2 vs 939 isn't worth the upgrade. If you are upgrading from a pre-939 socket, go AM2 if you are buying ram- strictly for the reason DDR2 is more future proof. If you are going to reuse existing DDR, go 939.
I concur :D

no real world performance gain. just like drshivas said.

why not intel? there are some cost-effective combinations right now.

The advantage of 939 is that you can pick up second hand bits from the classfieds for next to nothing. I think somebody sold an Opty 165 for $90 a little while ago, and even the DFI Expert boards are cheap.

Last edited:
>HyperlogiK< said:
The advantage of 939 is that you can pick up second hand bits from the classfieds for next to nothing. I think somebody sold an Opty 165 for $90 a little while ago, and eve the DFI Expert boards are cheap.

that's true...

freakdiablo said:
read other posts. people are only getting like 5% boosts in performance.
$ for $ there isnt a whole lotta difference. Most of the improvement is from those that bought high end D9 for $400+.

Go AM2 if your going with a new setup, yeah the ram costs alittle bit more now but 939 and DDR are pretty much headed out the door in the next six months theres no reason to stay. Also Brisbane is scheduled to start trikling in tommorow and should provide some clockspeed boost and K8l is a whole lot easier to upgrade to in a couple of months if you already have DDR2. Also if you decide to go to the darkside DDR2 is very popular there as well.

Eldonko said:
$ for $ there isnt a whole lotta difference. Most of the improvement is from those that bought high end D9 for $400+.

My cheap ram still made a fair amount of difference, and that was coming from BH-5. My D9 which is pretty good on the BFB scale compared to 2gb of good ddr. I would say is a better value for overclocking becuase I can run the same timings 2gbs of DDR would run at 150mhz+ higher without insane amounts of tweaking or voltage.

Last edited:
drshivas said:

In all honesty we heard the same thing about AM2... that it would be compatible iwth hte next gen. And it wasnt. Now we are hearing the the new Dual CPU socket is going to be dual quadcore compliant... except that.. .DDR3 is now thorown inot hte mix.

It really depends what type of builder you are.

If your a piece builder then 939 is fine. (Sorry I cant see sigs on dialup and haveem blocked) So I dont know what you are on... if you are on PC100/133 then defintley go straight up to DDR2 .... if your just looking to save money... 939 and DDR is cheap as poop right now... if you want future proffing, then your just fooling yourself.. there is no such animal.... if your looking to "upgrade in 2months" then move to new architecture... cuz DDR is only going to get more expensive before it gets cheaper...

Back