• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total Disc Wipe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archangelgabe

I'm working on my mother's Compaq Presario SR1055CL. She uses it for medicare billing and stuff. It's been infected to **** with adware and it's gotten really slow. (Desktop full of "Free Ipod Nano" and other crap.) I could do scan after scan, but that won't guarantee a perfect clean. I though I might as well wipe everything.

The problem is, she never got a backup XP home reinstall disc when she bought the computer from Costco. (I went though everything and no CDs). So, how do I wipe the computer while leaving the OS partition alone? I can't afford to just dive in and try some of the things I've thought of because I can't risk losing the OS.

info from Computer Management:

3 partitions
----------
[img=http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1236/untitled1zy1.th.jpg]

Partition has nothing on it except 2 files. One called "recovery" with a lock icon and a 18 byte "USER" file.

I would look through any documentation they gave you or at Compaq. Generally that locked partition is accessed in some way prior to booting into the OS. Then it will run an automated recovery to the way you bought the PC.

I know with IBM laptops you push the Access IBM button at the BIOS splash screen. Then there is an option for recovery. I think with Sony it is F6. I can't recall what HP/Compaq uses off the top of my head. You WILL lose any data you have on the computer as well as anything that didn't come preinstalled.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to wipe everything without destroying the OS.
Is it possible to back up your critical data, the stuff you cannot afford to lose? It looks like you have a separate Recovery Partition on the Hard drive (D:). You might try a NON-destructive restoration by following the the HP-Compaq Recovery Instructions, if you can back up what you need to. The "Destructive Recovery" will erase everything on your C: Drive & reformat it.
Make sure you turn off System Restore when trying to clean things up however you do it. Another good tool to clean things up without having to wipe everything is to use Trend Micro's House Call to scan & clean the system. It's very possble to clean everything up without having to wipe everything, but it can get a bit time consuming & complicated.
-Dave

Well if you dont care about programs (other than OS) then backup things like my documents favorites and such, then use a tool like "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder" to find a Windows serial. With that done use any windows xp home and put your cd key then activate it.
Just an idea :beer:

here is what id do ...

remove all programs that you dont intend to use from add/remove.

run antivirus ( alot of free ones online)

then run spybot search and destroy. only removing the red objects.

then run hijackthis and post your log (or google each process).

run - disk cleanup, disk check, and defrag..

that should help out alot right there.. and really is just a touch of what you can do..

anyway you can tell her that you need to buy xp ? or would that not fly ? because a nice wipe would do wonders too..

blohin said:
Well if you dont care about programs (other than OS) then backup things like my documents favorites and such, then use a tool like "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder" to find a Windows serial. With that done use any windows xp home and put your cd key then activate it.

I agree. Since you already have a legit copy of XP, just recover the key from the registry, download a copy of XP, or perhaps borrow a copy from someone, and use your key. To be sure you wiped EVERYTHING, use Fdisk to format.

Lord Rage said:
I agree. Since you already have a legit copy of XP, just recover the key from the registry, download a copy of XP, or perhaps borrow a copy from someone, and use your key. To be sure you wiped EVERYTHING, use Fdisk to format.

There are a few problems with that plan. I wouldn't trust a pirated copy of Windows, who knows what could have been slipped in there. It is a great way to start a new build off with spyware and other junk. If you have a legit key there is nothing wrong with borrowing a CD for the same OS and using that, just be careful that the key types match.

Also fdisk doesn't format, it is for partioning. Besides which if you use a standard XP CD you can partition and format from there and it will accomplish the same thing, just a bit easier. For a real sure removal of any nasty stuff hiding out you would want to do a bootable HD nuking utility that writes random patterns and erases over multiple passes.

ErikD said:
There are a few problems with that plan. I wouldn't trust a pirated copy of Windows, who knows what could have been slipped in there. It is a great way to start a new build off with spyware and other junk. If you have a legit key there is nothing wrong with borrowing a CD for the same OS and using that, just be careful that the key types match.

Also fdisk doesn't format, it is for partioning. Besides which if you use a standard XP CD you can partition and format from there and it will accomplish the same thing, just a bit easier. For a real sure removal of any nasty stuff hiding out you would want to do a bootable HD nuking utility that writes random patterns and erases over multiple passes.

Weird, must just be me, but I've used both Home and Pro, and neither of which would let me format from the install. It would always say like "Cannot format because files on the harddisk are being used" or something.

I would go with fdisk as well (if you do not have a floppy drive then win98/me cd will do to repartition), after that you can format with xp cd.

PS
To ErikD -> I never said download win xp (thats a bad idea).

blohin said:
If I remember correctly, Compaq being an OEM computer should have a COA sticker for the OS somewhere, possibly on the back of the case. If you have an OEM Home Edition CD, you can use that to reinstall, and use the key off the COA sticker, and you will be completely legit. The CD you use doesn't matter, because you still have to manually enter that key. I have about 4 different slipstreams of WinXP Home OEM, and every one of those discs will work on my system with the same key. Just remember that the key has to match the disc type. If the key on the COA is for WinXP Pro OEM, and the disc you have is Home, it will not work.

Back