• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

I just got this board because of the good over clocking results I saw. However, I have one problem thats VERY irritating. The on board sound seems to suck REALLY bad. While listening to music, playing games, or doing anything that requires sound it messes up. It sounds like the volume gets to high and the headphones make a crackling noise like they are blown. As long as everything is set to very low levels and there is no bass everything is ok. This is not what I want, though. I want to be able to listen to music and play games without having to make it almost inaudible. Is there any way I can fix this without having to buy a separate sound card? I didn't have this problem with the DS3 or my P5W DH.

I guess I'm the only one with this problem? I've tried reinstalling drivers and I even formatted again and still no luck.

No, you're not the only one . There was nothing I could do to get it to work correctly . Couldn't configure my microphone at all for speech. Put my sound blaster live card in and everything is fine now

open up sound max, click preferences (the mallet) and goto the DTS tab, disable DTS interactive, and select large speakers.

also try turning down the wave volume.

i agree with the comment that most MB onboard audio is crap.

i still use a soundblaster live 5.1 card that simply refuses to stop kicking ***. i bought an extra off of ebay even ... like 15 bucks or so ... just for posterity and all.

mostly do a lot of multi track digital recording and the occasional game ... never have found a reason to upgrade.

first step after buying a new motherboard? <DISABLE> onboard audio. :)

if your *really* on the cheap and don't need 7.1 surround ... get a live! 5.1. here's a link:

on the cheap

Well this sucks. The sound just totally died on me and I have no money to buy another card. Even if I wanted to buy a sound card there is no place I could put it since I have no available PCI slots. I've never had a problem with on board sound, ever, until now. After this shinanigans I wont be recommending this board to anyone. What a piece.

The onboard sound on this board is a POS. I've never had any problems with onboard sound before with all the computers I've built for friends/family/myself. This was the first time I was forced to put in a sound card when there is onboard sound.

Seriously, what's up with Asus and their bad sound? The P5W DH Deluxe that's in my dads computer just crapped out too. Now he has to buy a sound card and so do I.

actually it made you buy a part which makes your listening pleasure higher. :D
but, yea, ive heard of this problem, nevertheless i bought this board because of its awesome oc'ing capabilities.
Since i upgraded to a soundcard i never wanted to go back to onboard sound, a soundcard is jus so much better.
Eventually you will like the soundcard and you will thank Asus for making you buying a soundcard. :D

Still, onboard should be efficient and not crackle all the time. They also have boot up issues. The comp turn on then off right away and then turns on. I have Antec Neo HE 500w so power shouldn't be a problem.

T07N said:
Still, onboard should be efficient and not crackle all the time. They also have boot up issues. The comp turn on then off right away and then turns on. I have Antec Neo HE 500w so power shouldn't be a problem.

yep, onboard sound blows on this board (most boards). as for your bootup issues, have you tried rolling with a newer bios? the problem went away for me with 0711. it only sufaces if im running an fsb that my mem doesnt like, around 475ish. i think the board is great.. a 67% oc on stock volts, and up to 75.5% with a small bump in jo0s , just before my ram says fu. thats with my puny 480w psu :beer:

Most boards intergrated sound is usually poor but the P5B is really bad. I tossed in an old Diamond MX400 card I had laying around and it sounds better than the Soundmax.

The thing is I have never had a problem with on board sound until now. The fact of the matter is I shouldn't have to buy extra stuff when the motherboard should work. I guess I will end up watercooling my x1900xtx and throw in a sound card. First, I need the money. My donation box is open, haha. :p

Well everything has is its cons.
The P5B dlx is a great oc'er but with poor onboard sound. At some places you gain something which makes you lose something at other places.

Quest For Speed said:
Most boards intergrated sound is usually poor but the P5B is really bad. I tossed in an old Diamond MX400 card I had laying around and it sounds better than the Soundmax.

ditto, never met an onboard sound i liked totally.
i put a Audigy4 in, i really thought by NOW they would have put a decent audio on , but i guess not.

there is an update to the sound drivers, that keeps ATI drivers from crashing the whole computer. some of the cracking, is a AVC (auto volume control) thing, that i think can be disabled.

i had no available PCI slot EITHER, i had to run a Passive sync on the video card , a CONDOR huge passive sink that relieves the pci slot next to the video card. they said it could not be overclocked with the passive sink on, but after (then) having room for ram sinks, and adding a fan to the huge passive sink i can overclock the video card just fine.

shortbus_ said:
open up sound max, click preferences (the mallet) and goto the DTS tab, disable DTS interactive, and select large speakers.

also try turning down the wave volume.

That worked perfect for me, thank you.

P5b-deluxe is a great overclocker but has crappy sound.
REALLY CRAPPY!! I can't listen some songs due to the "bzzz" it makes but for now there is no other option I am thinking already about an stand alone card :rolleyes:

Wow that's strange, a review I read at TR was praising Asus' use of a non-Realtek chip for the audio. Obviously onboard isn't going to be great but it ought to at least work properly :( Maybe I'll have to put in my SB Live! instead of just using the onboard temporarily as I was planning.

Back