• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP on Celeron400 /w 64mb RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

After a long time streamlining my windows XP Pro CD, I finally managed to get windows to work on a Celeron400MHz /w 64MB RAM.

I Found this PC by the side of a trash can so I grabbed it. The only thing wrong with it was the HDD was dead. I guess that's why they threw it out. I just put an old HDD in it and boom away!

I managed to streamline windows xp pro down to using 23mb of RAM :)

It's almost got no compatibility with like CD burning or anything like that...but i'm sure it would do good as a web server.

What do u guys think?

Success?

Yes, success!!! doubt it would be a web server though, you probably couldn't have any necessary processes for that, but i dont know that much about servers. You can always put boinc on it and make a seti/folding rig.

freakdiablo said:
Yes, success!!! doubt it would be a web server though, you probably couldn't have any necessary processes for that, but i dont know that much about servers. You can always put boinc on it and make a seti/folding rig.

You could run IIS on that rig. It will serve up pages, but you better hope not many people want to look at it at one time, hah.

Dude! 23mb with XP! You are the man! That is awesome.

If I were you though I'd looking into a small linux distro if your wanting to make it a file server.

wow thats quite amazing.... want some extra ram i got quite a few sticks of PC 100 and PC133 64mb and higher sticks lol... but windows xp on 64mb of ram... NICE...

i ust to run XP pro on a celly 466 / 348mb of ram NO prob actually ran quite nice with few optimizations.

I'd suggest you use Apache to turn it into a Web Server. It runs on Windows, though you might want to have a look at Linux for an Internet-exposed machine

Yes, I ended up installing WAMP and it runs pretty clean :)

if you get the chance, I (and i'm sure other people) would love to know what services you have running. 23mb would be great for some older machines i mess with!

Back