• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Deluxe vs. P5W DH

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avalanche

I'm currently deciding between these two boards at the moment since I dont think that the 680i performance difference warrants the price. I was wondering which board is better for overclocking and why it is better. This board will be accompanied by a e6300, maybe a e6400 if i get the p5b deluxe. The bottom line for me is performance. Whichever board performs the best in gaming/overclocking is the board I will end up purchasing. What is everyone's opinion? As you can see by my signature, my current rig is VERY old and I've just recently started to read up on the new technology in the past few weeks. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes! I'm trying to decide between these two boards myself. I plan to drop in a 6600. Comments anyone please?

i have had both mobos

and 6300 and 6600

I prefer the p5w dh

but you cant hit 500fsb with it which you need on a 6300 and dont on a 6600 cuz of the 9 multi.

Rattle said:
i have had both mobos

and 6300 and 6600

I prefer the p5w dh

but you cant hit 500fsb with it which you need on a 6300 and dont on a 6600 cuz of the 9 multi.

Thanks. I don't plan to OC, I just want a rock-solid, speedy board/CPU where my X-Fi won't fight with the chipset all the time. :mad: :bang head

If you were not going to OC, which one would you go with?

inkfx said:
The Asus P5W DH Deluxe. You will need that sound card too. The on board sound is pretty bad on these boards.

Thanks much, currently I have a A8N32 w/ nVidia chipset, which as you probably know, is NOT happy with the X-FI. I really need a stable board to use with the X-FI, I really love the drive bay inputs..

blackbird007 said:
Why should someone go with the P5W DH Deluxe is they have a 6600?

i was wondering the same thing. will a 6300 perform better stock on a p5b deluxe than a p5w dh?

If all things are stock the P5W will perform very slightly better. The nice thing about the P5B is that you have FSB room for overclocking. The P5W doesn't have much hope of hitting over ~ 400 - 430 ish FSB. The P5B's are known for about 450 - 500 FSB. I personally love my P5W but am thinking about getting rid of it (have to do more testing to find my real limitation at the moment) because I think I am running into a FSB wall. I will have to test it when I have time but for a E6600 and everyday normal usage a P5W is a great board.

~jtjuska

I have the P5W DH Deluxe and am currently running an e6600 with a modest OC to 2.7 ghz. I want this to be my 24/7 usage speed. I also want it to last me a few years. I was using the auto function for vcore and my temps were at 36ish idle and up to 52ish under stress tests. The got uo to 43-45ish at normal load (like encoding MPG movies). All temps in C.
I recently installed the PC Probe and it gave me vcore warnings. My vcore was bouncing between 1.18 to 1.31 using auto setting. I believe the stock vcore for the 6600 is 1.325. Please correct me if that is wrong.
I changed vcore settings from auto to user defined and set it at 1.31v. Temps are relatively the same (maybe 0.5 - 1 degree higher). Is this a safe temp to run 24/7? Does anybody know what temps it is supposed to run at stock?
By the way I am a complete noob to OCing and I found this board to be veru friendly for me. I never reached the 400mhz mark, I think I never got past 350mhz at 7x multi. I do like the performance I am getting at 300mhz 9x multi. I am using only fans and a Zalman cooler, so maybe that is why I can't get the speeds over 350.
Thanks -Jim

1.31 vcore is perfectly safe for 24/7 usage. I am currently running 1.400 volts on water... probably end up bumping it more when I go for my tweaking. I am very short on any time at all to work on it. I guess my final say on the debate between them is that either one will treat you very well.

~jtjuska

If I'm not mistaken, the P5B Deluxe BIOS allows you to change the multipliers with Core2Duo chips, the P5W DH does not. Unless they've upgraded the BIOS to allow it.

Any P5W DH owners that have CPU multiplier adjustments with a new BIOS?

muliplier adjustments are there and you can change the mulitplier with software in windows for motherboards that dont have that option in the bios.

Anyone not overclocking, just get the cheapest 975X motherboad you can find :shrug:

If your overclocking and plan on getting a lower clocked kentfeild down the road, P5B-Deluxe and the evga i680 overclock FSB with kentfields better.

Yea, multi adjustment has been there for a while.

greenmaji, the P5W wont run a Kenstfield? Not that I want one anytime soon since I barely use the capabilities offered by Conroe but just curious.

The 975X (P5W) is not very good for OCing the conroe because of Conroe's lower multi and higher FSB. It will top around 300 FSB. Conroe's default FSB is at 266 so that'll only be 36 MHz FSB overclock. The P965 (P5B Deluxe) will offer a much better OC with max out around 420 to 450.

The 680i will do around 500 FSB. The nVidia 680i are the best boards available right now for OC but they are a bit expensive for me. 680i SLI chipsets are selling in the $249 to $399 range. If that's in your budget, go for it.

I'm going to wait until the cheaper 650i is release and see how they do. The 650i SLI motherboards should perform about the same and are in the $149 to $199 range, and 650i Ultra boards are in the $99 to $149. This way, I can get the 8X multi E6400 or the 7X E6300 and will be able to get a good decent overclock for the $$.

<<Spider>> said:
The 975X (P5W) is not very good for OCing the conroe because of Conroe's lower multi and higher FSB. It will top around 300 FSB. Conroe's default FSB is at 266 so that'll only be 36 MHz FSB overclock. The P965 (P5B Deluxe) will offer a much better OC with max out around 420 to 450.

Your P5W info is a little off, they will exceed 400 FSB without problem.

Back