• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista Retail Info Pricing etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

Well I've seen the pricing & info about what's in them & I'm sure many of you have but figured I'd post it since I really hadn't seen anything about it here yet...

Vista Home Basic (from everything I've read they say avoid it)
Features:
Windows Defender & Firewall
Price: Full- $199, Upgrade-$100
*Allows in place upgrades from XP Home

Vista Home Premium
Features:
Aero & Windows Flip 3D
Windows Mobility & Tablet PC Support
Windows Meeting Space
Windows Media Center

Price: Full-$239, Upgrade-$159
*Allows in place upgrades from XP Home Media Center

Vista Business
Features:
Aero & Windows Flip 3D
Windows Meeting Space
Windows Business Backup & Networking
Remote Desktop
Price: Full-$299, Upgrade-$199

*Allows in place upgrades from XP Home, Home Media Center & Pro

Vista Ultimate
Features:
Aero & Windows Flip 3D
Windows Meeting Space
Windows Media Center
Windows Business Backup & Networking
Remote Desktop
Bitlocker Drive Encryption
Price: Full-$399, Upgrade-$259

*Allows in place upgrades from XP Home, Home Media Center, Pro & Tablet PC

I'm probably going to be waiting a yr or so before I upgrade to Vista...but looks as though I'm going to go with Home Premium unless I have some unforeseen good luck & fortune in which case I'm going to get Ultimate...

Also they where going to be very restrictive on the licensing of Vista when it came to upgrading your pc or buying a new one. At first they would going to require you to purchase a new copy of Vista but the computer users of the world pretty much put their foots down & crushed MS on this one so it will have the exact licensing of XP. So good news to us...

I will probably end up getting Home Premium as well. I don't really see any benefit for me to go with Ultimate.

I will probably stick with windows 2k (possibly upgrade to XP when 2k completely falls from the support cycle but that'll be a while). I don't see any benefit for upgrading to any version of Vista. The price is enormous and I can't seem to find any features in it that would be of interest to me.

Back