• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please ive killed DirectX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ad-

Registered
Well i was getting some stupid 'internal driver error' that kept crashing css as the server loaded. it appeared randomly one day when i switched my PC on, so today i decided to re-install directx.

I saw some info saying that if you delete the directx folder key from the registry then when you restart XP will reload direcxt 8.1 then you can update again. But after doing that the dxdiag box shows directx level as 'Not found', and in the standard DirectX menu in the control panel it says i have version 0.0 :eek: :(

I tried to download the latest october update and it comes up with the error shows in the pic below. Ive also included the error log.

--------------------
[12/05/06 10:58:29] module: dxupdate(Sep 28 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 175, function: GetDXVersion

Failed API: RegOpenKeyEx()
Error: (2) - The system cannot find the file specified.

Current DirectX may be a older version which does not have directx key in the registry.

--------------------
[12/05/06 10:58:29] module: dxupdate(Sep 28 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 4504, function: DirectXUpdateDownloadPlugIn

GetDXVersion() failed.

--------------------
[12/05/06 10:58:30] module: DXWSetup(Sep 28 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 386, function: DownloadPlugIn

DirectXUpdateDownloadPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[12/05/06 10:58:30] module: DXWSetup(Sep 28 2006), file: psheets.cpp, line: 498, function: PreinstDlgProc

DownloadPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[12/05/06 11:05:53] module: dxupdate(Sep 28 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 175, function: GetDXVersion

Failed API: RegOpenKeyEx()
Error: (2) - The system cannot find the file specified.

Current DirectX may be a older version which does not have directx key in the registry.

--------------------
[12/05/06 11:05:53] module: dxupdate(Sep 28 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 4504, function: DirectXUpdateDownloadPlugIn

GetDXVersion() failed.

--------------------
[12/05/06 11:05:54] module: DXWSetup(Sep 28 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 386, function: DownloadPlugIn

DirectXUpdateDownloadPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[12/05/06 11:05:54] module: DXWSetup(Sep 28 2006), file: psheets.cpp, line: 498, function: PreinstDlgProc

DownloadPlugIn() failed.

ach5.jpg

What can i do to fix this, any help would be much appreciated?

System restore...

If it is any consolidation, when I had a DirectX problem I could not resolve it. All downloads kept on complaining that I already had an up to date version and that reinstall was impossible. So, when I did a repair install of Windows... the repair install failed with a disk read error. Magically I didn't have the disk read error when I did a delete and full install. (The read error was a way of informing me that I had an unrepairable version of Windows XP)

I only hope that you don't have to have the same problem hit you. Of course, before you do anything drastic, BACKUP YOUR DATA! That is my advice to you.

Yup system restore will hopfully fix the issue. I've fixed past DX issues this way. Of course theres always the rare one where it might of been done months ago and its long gone from the restore feature.

Back