• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Hibernation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
I have never used it before and don't need it but apparently my auxiliary power software reset it to "on" when I reinstalled the software. It's turned off now. Does hibernation give the impression of a random reboot when it's activated if you are not familiar with it?

Hibernation actually turns the machine off but writes the contents of the physical RAM to a file called the hiberfil.sys, which is the same size as the amount of physical RAM your machine contains (if you have 256MB, then the file will be 256MB). When you turn the machine back on again, your programs and files will be exactly as you left them before you hibernated the system.

redduc900 said:
Hibernation actually turns the machine off but writes the contents of the physical RAM to a file called the hiberfil.sys, which is the same size as the amount of physical RAM your machine contains (if you have 256MB, then the file will be 256MB). When you turn the machine back on again, your programs and files will be exactly as you left them before you hibernated the system.

are the page files also copyed to the hiberfil.sys?

Back