• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm Rad watercooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c0dec

Hi,
Im new to watercooling so please bear with me. Looking to move over to water cooling for my CPU but dont have the money for a new case to fit a 120mm at the rear at the moment. My current Coolermaster case only has space for an 80mm fan at the rear so for now this will have to do.

I was looking at the Asetek WaterChill KT03A-L20 (80mm Rad) (03-L-6012) kit from overclock.co.uk:

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=17968&cat=440&view=rel

I have found various other 80mm kits around from around £50 upwards but from the look of reviews ive been reading Asetek seem the way to go for around this price range and i would rather pay a little extra for the better overclocking ability.

Dan

You could always mount the Rad on top of the case? Just browse around through the WC section and you can see a lot of great examples. I've read in most cases that a 120x1 Rad > 80x2 Rad. I was wanting to try a 80x2 Rad in a case myself but haven't got around to it.

You might as well stick to air because with an 80.1 rad you are not going to see any better temps than on a good air cooler. You may even get better temps with air (Ultra 120, Tuniq Tower, Scythe Infinity).

Mount a 120.2 radiator on top of your case. You'll be a much happier camper that way.

Unless you only plan on cooling more than just you CPU then a 120.2 rad is not really needed. I used a single 120mm rad for my s754 3400+ and I know that ran hotter than any new chip.

^^I agree, a single 120.1 radiator should be fine, but the bigger the radiator you get, the greater the performance and the less amount of airflow (and therefore noise) you'll need to achieve a designated temperature.

In this case I think im gunna have to go for another case and either go for the 2 x 120 or single 120. I did look at getting a Scythe Infinity to replace my XP-90C but the fittings would have been VERY tight. maybe a mm or so free if that next to the side of my case.

What average priced cases do people recommend? If i could afford it i would go for the Lian Li PC-G70 Aluminum Super Tower - Watercooled Edition but at the moment its out of my price range. What are peoples thoughts on the Thermaltake Tai-Chi Super Tower Water Cooled Aluminum Case ? Ive never been a fan of Thermaltake as they just seem to rip off everyone elses designs but this case didnt look to bad to me.

Also just to add, people keep saying to add a rad on top of my case, has anyone got any pictures of people who have done this? I take my PC to lan once a month and i cant imagine what a rad would look like mounted on top.

Cheers

Ive found this pic of my case with watercooling!!! the first ive ever seen. Does anyone know what rad is in use here as i cant really see it at all. Also i wonder how its mounted up the top there, there is only 1 80mm fan there in my case.

Attachments

• watercooled.jpg
    watercooled.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,739
Looking at the picture of the case above and referencing to my lovely paint image below, would i be able to mount a 2 x 80mm rad at the bottom of my case or is this far to low for a rad to be mounted?

Attachments

• watercooledsetup.JPG
    watercooledsetup.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,045
Back