• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opening ports in xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are behind a router you will have to set your computer as the DMZ. There will be an option for this somewhere in your router config. If you need help, post back your router's model number.

You're probably are going to get a virus if you open the ports!

That's suicide under Windows XP!

RJARRRPCGP said:
You're probably are going to get a virus if you open the ports!

That's suicide under Windows XP!

I give it 30 seconds...then it's MSblaster time.

Seriously I would also advise against this, however, I've known people who go firewall-less 24-7 and have been lucky for years.

maybe he wants to write a paper on how easy it is to get a worm. :)

there could be many testing type of scenarios that it would be nice to have no firewall, but like others said, i would not suggest that if you are connected directly to the internet. i would definitely suggest some sort of firewall between you and the internet.

mbentley said:
maybe he wants to write a paper on how easy it is to get a worm. :)

there could be many testing type of scenarios that it would be nice to have no firewall, but like others said, i would not suggest that if you are connected directly to the internet. i would definitely suggest some sort of firewall between you and the internet.

I have my computer setup on my router's DMZ, but I do run a software firewall which notifies me of traffic which I haven't set rules for.

However, if someone needs all his computer ports open for a good reason, I think he would know how to open them. Kind of like "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."

amazon10x said:
I have my computer setup on my router's DMZ, but I do run a software firewall which notifies me of traffic which I haven't set rules for.
Now I got to ask, WHY would you do this? This is asking for trouble. You should keep your machine(s) behind the firewall/router and open and forward the port(s) needed. There IMO is very seldom a time to put a machine on the DMZ.

SybrCLocK said:
why would you do some stupid thing like that?

open only what you need

I'll second that.

But yeah, if you really want to open yourself up then just disable any firewalls and then put your comp on the dmz if you are using a router.

nikhsub1 said:
Now I got to ask, WHY would you do this? This is asking for trouble. You should keep your machine(s) behind the firewall/router and open and forward the port(s) needed. There IMO is very seldom a time to put a machine on the DMZ.

As I said before, I do run a software firewall (Kerio) and it asks me about all traffic which I haven't explicitly set a rule for. The reason I put myself on the DMZ is because I run all kinds of different servers on my machine and am constantly messing with them. As such, I start using and stop using ports very often. Keeping track of all these and changin them in the router becomes very monotonous.

im aware of the potential problems... just because i want the ports open doesn't mean i dont know what could happen.

ive run with all ports open for a few years, but i recently reformatted and i cant remember what app i used to open them. my understanding is that SP2 keeps several ports closed even with the firewall disabled.

also DMZ isnt an option because i am behind my schools network for the time being... and opening ports isnt going to help me much in this scenario but i just want to do it for when i go back home.

Opening all your ports at school or at home is asking for trouble, as most everybody has answered to. (Don't). Is there something your not telling us. I know of no good reason to go DMZ. I'm willing to learn if there is.

fault&fracture said:
im aware of the potential problems... just because i want the ports open doesn't mean i dont know what could happen.

ive run with all ports open for a few years, but i recently reformatted and i cant remember what app i used to open them. my understanding is that SP2 keeps several ports closed even with the firewall disabled.

Disable the XP firewall and all of the ports will be opened (unless you run a different software firewall). If you have a router, you will have to open them on that also.

I really, really want you to post some screenshots after a week of this. It's been awhile since I've seen anything like crack22.exe (note: do not download this) in action.

Back