• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To ds3 or not to ds3: that is the question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotrod469

So I am going to update my system with a c2d e6400, Mb, and 2Gb of ram.
I like the layout of the ds3 and the price is good. I have read that some people love this board and some have had lots of problems with it. I am only looking to OC 2.8~3.0GHz Your thoughts on how good or bad this board is will help me decide . thanks.

INFO

RIght now in the current bios, the following problems exist.

1. Can't install Vista if your operating system volumes are on the GB Sata II controller. Your only other choice is to put your operating system on ICH8 Sata ports that dont run native sata.

2. Some memory will work up to it's rated speed and some won't. If it isn't Micron D9 memory, you will probably be ok. If it is, you will be shooting craps.

3. S3 resume doesn't work

4. System fan control doesn't work.

5. Some people have problems with optical device detection if they have more than one optical drive. My optical drive shows up in the raid setup screen instead of the ide drives where it belongs.

6. Lots of problems with Creative X-fi drivers.

I think I hit the big ones. Well maybe you'd want to know that GB tech support is pretty much non-existant.

Thanks for the info. I did not know about #1 or #3, #6 dose not surprise me the x-fi has problems with other mbs as well.
I guess I will look into the asus p5b series of boards I just dont like how the pci slots are set-up.

INFO

hotrod469 said:
Thanks for the info. I did not know about #1 or #3, #6 dose not surprise me the x-fi has problems with other mbs as well.
I guess I will look into the asus p5b series of boards I just dont like how the pci slots are set-up.
I really wouldn't know what to suggest at this point. If I had to buy a motherboard right now it would be a very tough decision.

After reading this thread. I don't want a ds3 anymore. Had more problems than the Asus p5b dlx. Probably gonna go with that. It's probably the best P965 based board out there with the least problems compared to the other motherboards.

Last edited:
Back