• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different Anti-virus programs hate each other?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Have you ever tried to have two anti-virus programs on the same PC at the same time?

Well I tried.

The result is, it takes me 2 minutes just to open "My Computer"...no other programs running except the two anti-virus programs simply sitting in the background, NOT even doing scan at all...

How could having two AV programs in the background slow a PC down THAT MUCH?

One issue is that one AV will see the "Other" AV's "Virus Signatures" - and it thinks they are Virii, and Visa-Versa (each AV thinks the other AV is Virus Ridden due to the Signatures).

So you are correct - only run one AV at a time. You're asking for a Fresh Install otherwise IMO ;)

:cool:

Don't do it.

I have had to fix systems by manually deleting an AV using a bootdisk because the OS was not accesable because of running 2 AV's.

You are lucky you can still get the os to fully boot.

Yeh running to AV's at once is not good. Expecially if they both run in the background all the time. they conflict with eachother and can stuff up your pc.

I was able to get into windows, but once both showed up in background, the PC was slowed like like I was using a 1MHZ CPU on WinXP. It took me a LONG time just to get into add/remove programs to finally be able to uninstall one.

Back