• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5NSLI PCI-E x8 SLI & BFG nVidia 7900 GT/OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfleach

I'm a budget PC gamer and rather new to the enthusiast front, so please be kind if I misuse lingo or flat out make myself look like a toolbox. :rolleyes:

I'm running a P5NSLI mobo, with a single BFG nVidia 7900 GT OC (factory overclock). I'm no tweaker, and tend to run everything at stock speed (like I said, I'm new to this!), so nothing has been altered in terms of the BIOS, etc.

My question is, seeing as the PCI-E on the P5NSLI revert to x8 in SLI, so far as the 7900 GT OC is concerned, how bad of a performance bottleneck should I expect, should I drop $299 for a second card?

I have no idea how to "calculate" this sort of thing, and I'm hoping to get a handle on the price/performance return should I decide to run SLI. I know the 7900 GT isn't the beefiest card around, and I've be led to believe the x8 shouldn't be an issue.

I'm looking for a second opinion, and thought this would be a good place to come. I'm not sure what specs to consider. Bottomline, if I go SLI with the 7900 GT OC on the P5NSLI, can I expect a decent return on investment (in terms of increased performance) despite my budget mobo?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Back