• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Discolored P5P800-SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackmesa

Registered
hey,

what's your opinion on this p5p800-se?

asus says it's compatible and "designed" for presler dual core cpus. but the mosfets seem heavily overloaded to me. I'm not sure whether it's dying a slow death or the discoloration is quite normal?

Look at (1.) where the pcb foil actually is beginning to lift.

What are you running in it? As far as my opinion I'd say thats heat damage and sooner or later the board will probably suffer complete failure. 6 voltage regulators is pushing it in my opinion for the power draw of the notoriously hungry P4s. You could try some heatsinks to dissipate the heat better, combined with a fan blowing on the sinks it might even be fine for a long time....

i'm running a p 940 D c1 on it.. cpu-support table on asus support page says it's compatible.

Yeah man, you need to drop some sinks on those fets toot sweet.

(what is toot sweet.....oh well)

I have a P5P800-SE running a 920D and I used some AA adhesive to sink those fets. I've put a 40mm fan over that section to provide some added airflow as well. No discoloration on my board and its been about 6 months 24/7 FAH.

Sinks + airflow = good :beer:

'toute de suite' is french :D

that was a used board which i bought on ebay. i didnt know if it was a good idea to put my 940d on it, but at least it runs.

i mounted small selfmade sinks on twelve (around cpu socket and near the atx plug) mosfets with zalman two component adhesive and have a XP120 aircooler with downblowing 12 cm fan.

but now i hesitate to oc the 940D C1 since it would even more stress the mosfets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I fitted the mosfets with heatsinks but the mobo was still unstable with sudden reboots even at default settings.

Asus has done a pretty bad job on this board. It fails by design.

I replaced the P5P800 SE with an Asrock Conroe865PE which looks way better, even it has got cooling stripes at the back of the pcb around the cpu socket and mosfets.

Back