• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vlite is out, nlite for Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

An early build of vlite, the installation customisation tool for vista is out:

http://www.vlite.net/

It seems that you can get rid of a lot of the bloat like aero and themes, and use the Win 2000 interface. I'll have a play around with it this weekend and see what I can remove without breaking it.

Oh cool, ya curious to see what things can be stripped out that, well affect true preformance. I'd love to get rid of some things. Something uses CPU power in vista and its not the themes or Aero and its bugging me.

deathman20 said:
Oh cool, ya curious to see what things can be stripped out that, well affect true performance. I'd love to get rid of some things. Something uses CPU power in vista and its not the themes or Aero and its bugging me.

I wouldn't blame the OS for that... I'd get checking any programs that may be running, even virus scan (if you haven't got a compatible AV for vista, throw the HD in another computer and do it that way).

or over a network ;) that lways works to oif you have shared the drive, anyways. this is exactly waht ive beenwaiting for from them :)

DanFraser said:
I wouldn't blame the OS for that... I'd get checking any programs that may be running, even virus scan (if you haven't got a compatible AV for vista, throw the HD in another computer and do it that way).

Its the OS, i have zero virsu scanners running. Its nothing I've installed because they don't run unless I tell it to. Its spiking between 15-20% on 1 core and 5-10% on the other typically in 2-4 second increments, besides the fact the HDD is constantly moving data it seems like (300-500KB/s)

My guess its either the defender built (but I can't find that running normally) in to Vista or the indexing service that I have yet to find again since the RC releases :( Most services are interlinked with each other which is a pain to stop them as it messes something else up. There are all Vista services eating up the CPU cycles. And I can tell thanks to the resource management feature in Vista what percent of the CPU is being used on such an application over the corse of it being opened.

My guess its either the defender built (but I can't find that running normally) in to Vista or the indexing service that I have yet to find again since the RC releases :( Most services are interlinked with each other which is a pain to stop them as it messes something else up. There are all Vista services eating up the CPU cycles. And I can tell thanks to the resource management feature in Vista what percent of the CPU is being used on such an application over the course of it being opened.[/QUOTE]

Is this any help? It's quite a good guide on disabling vista services.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87443

Feel free to disable things that you don't use but I think a lot of the services that come with vista are designed to improve usability and you're actually crippling yourself disabling stuff like the indexer so you can get some nebulous and likely unmeasurable performance increase.

If you ask me 'tweaking' the os is just spinning your wheels with such efforts. vLite is also useless if you're installing on just a few boxes, you'll never recoup the time investment unless you're one of those people who have OCD and think your operating system should be reinstalled once a month.

I would look at it the other way, you are gaining a considerable performance increase by disabling the 'windows for joe sixpack' features which only provide a nebulous and unmeasurable usability increase.

After removing the windows security centre, windows firewall, theme support, internet explorer, and a large number of services my windows XP is considerably faster than the default install. I like a lot of people want a vista installation that is essentially like a 64bit Windows 2000 with DX10 and HD video support.

Back