• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install OS on P5WDH??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

princox

How did you guys with the p5wdh install WinXP on your sata hd's?? I've got the sata hd connected on the sata_1 orange slot and my optical drive connected on the blue IDE connector.

In the bios for IDE configuration its set at Sata only in the enhanced mode. I've tried using a slipstream XP cd and loading the intel sata drivers from a floppy and it keeps going to a black screen once the setup files have been copied to the hd and reboots. It was showing signs of the 137gb hd issue and kept asking to format into NTFS since the partition was shown as unknown.

You need to connect it to the RED SATA controller, not the Orange one. Then you wont need a floppy with sata drivers. And yes you need to format your HDD, or the partition you going to install your OS on to.

oops my bad it is plugged into the red one already... the one right next to the northbridge and 2 black sata2 and 3...

I did format the drive with the seagate util cd before installing the OS. I tried both fat32 and ntfs formats. Both did the same thing. After the reboot after setup files were copied over i'd get the black screen and blinking cursor.

If you are not doing RAID then it should work right out of the box, but I would check in the BIOS the General tab, then under IDE CONFIGURATION. I would set it to either Standard IDE or AHCI, although I think AHCI might need a driver disk for. If its set to RAID it will need a disk. Hope this helps a little

~jtjuska

AHCI and Raid both need drivers. What is on your "Slipstream Disk"? Are they Raid or AHCI drivers? Sometimes, using a disk with slipstreamed drivers and the F6 option will cause problems.

Another way is to install with standard IDE and once in Windows you can force upgrade the controller drivers to AHCI. Once the drivers are upgraded, restart the computer and change to SATA in bios and let it go back into Windows.

You dont need SATA drivers, so dont hit F6, windows will install the needed drivers during initial installation.

Then all you have to do is install SP2, reboot, install latest INF from Intel, reboot and you are done. Now you can install everything else.

If you are not using Black IDE controller, then you can disable it in BIOS, its a JMicron controller.

ooo its detecting the correct drive size and partitions now... looks like the first slipstream disk i made was bad. :bang head

Installing winxp now... stay tuned.

i'm getting the message "error loading operating system" now on reboot after the cd copies the files over :mad: Any ideas? I'm using bios version 1602.

basically had to recreate the partition in the windows setup screen and format. It seems like there's an issue with the installer detecting LBA drives. I believe the issue was resolved in the SP2 install cd tho.

Back