• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512mb Rdram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milad_sm

does such thing exist??
i need to setup a system which has lotsa ram for video editting.
considering the 3-4 slots available for RAM in motherboards, how much RD RAM can i get, if i am to use P4??
and...if i go with P4, can i use DDR??
and...is RD RAM way much better than DDR for video editting or is it not noticable??
what are my choices?
thanks people.

I think Rambus (RDRAM) is DDR, They have 512 MB sticks expensive tho...about $200 each...remember they have to be installed in pairs.

Krome said:
I think Rambus (RDRAM) is DDR, They have 512 MB sticks expensive tho...about $200 each...remember they have to be installed in pairs.
I found Corsair 512mb PC800 RIMMs online the other day for $160--so shop around.

rambus (rdram) is not the same as ddr. ddr uses two 133 pipelines to transmit data which makes it run at 266mhz (if my memory serves right). and rdram runs at 400mhz and uses 4 pipelines at 100mhz (called multiplexing). for video editing i would go with rambus ram. because were talking about hundreds, even gigabytes of data here (for video of course). But if ur doing photo editing then there is no need for rdram. Also i heard of drdram which runs at 800mhz.

Back