• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am unable to change folder options from double to single click

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beanster

Registered
I just did a reformat of windows XP SP2 and found that when I go to control panel / folder options I cannot access it, it does not open up it just brings up the "Open With" menu.

I prefer single clicking everything so is there a way around this, another way to change it? (or better yet, any way to fix it so I can use the folder options menu?)

Thanks!

If you're running IE, then just left click the "Restore Folder Options Under Tools" link and save it to your Desktop. You can then just double click the downloaded folderoptions.reg file to merge it into your registry. If you're running Firefox as your browser, then right click the link and select "Save link as"... save it to your Desktop (make sure to keep the .reg extension), and double click it as above. You may need to reboot after the change.

I downloaded it and then ran it, rebooted and that didn't fix it, I still get the "open with" menu :confused:

redduc900 said:
If you're running Firefox as your browser, then right click the link and select "Save link as"... save it to your Desktop

If you are using any browser you can right click and "save target/Link as..."

What I was referring to is that when you click on the link I specified to the OP, if using Firefox he / she would need to right click and select "Save link as"... otherwise if just left clicking the link, the contents of the *.reg file just open up in the existing tab for viewing.

I did R click and chose "save link as" and then installed it, rebooted and no change.

redduc900 said:
Download Doug Knox's "Windows XP Security Console"...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

Click the "Windows Explorer" item and uncheck the "Disable Folder Options" check box (2nd from the top). If it's already unchecked, check it, click "Apply" then uncheck it and click "Apply" again.

I tried that, still have the "Open With" window when I click on it. ??

Can you open Folder Options from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer? Also take a screenshot of the "Open with" dialog that opens when you try to open Folder Options from Control Panel... and post it in this thread as a *.jpg

redduc900 said:
Can you open Folder Options from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer? Also take a screenshot of the "Open with" dialog that opens when you try to open Folder Options from Control Panel... and post it in this thread as a *.jpg

Yes I was able to do that from Windows Explorer.

I played around with the registry edits that you linked me to, when I used the one to change the computer name I ended up being locked out of windows when I rebooted with the error: lsass.exe - Operation Failed.

I tried to do a repair installation and that didn't work, so I reformatted. The original problem was not there again, that is until I after I started installing my programs. I believe that the new Adobe reader 8 is the culprit.

Back