• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely poor optical drive performance with new Conroe build: Biostar TForce 965PT.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

Extremely poor optical drive performance with new Conroe build: Biostar TForce 965PT.

I recall reading a few things about problems with the 965 chipset and optical drives on the IDE (PATA) channel. I seem to be experiencing this problem, because I tried ripping a DVD and it was extremely slow--it would have taken 2 hours to rip a single DVD. I popped the same CD into my main AMD rig, and the ripping process was at least 10 times faster. I tried going into Device Manager, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. There are two devices listed under "DVD/CD-ROM drives", even though I only have one. (?) Also, under the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", there are 3 "Primary IDE Channels", 3 "Secondary IDE channels", and one VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 3164". All have drivers installed. What am I to make of this? There is only one PATA port on my mobo. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

sometimes when yo install burning software it install a virtual drive. im not 100% sure if thats the case cause im not sure what your using as burning ware..

when you go into device manager, expand your ide controllers and right click on primary. choose properties and then the advanced tab. you should see what each device is running ... dma ... or pio ..

check your secondary the same way.

your using the exact same drive and software in both machines ??

I actually started another thread about this, because I discovered that the problem was worse than "poor performance". I couldn't burn anything or even play a DVD. Anyhow, the problem is solved. Xtreme Barton, you are right: The problem was some type of conflict between Daemon Tools and the VIA IDE driver. I uninstalled everything, removed remnants of the virtual drive, then just let Windows find the driver for the IDE controller. Now everything seems to work.

Back