• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WDH Delux and Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pilot53

Registered
Does anyone know if Windows Vista Premium work on this motherboard? I have lots of memory, 8800GTX vid card, 6800 extreme CPU, etc.

Pilot

lolol get 6 more gig ram and 3-4 of the same cpu and maybe it will post! Ridiculus Vista!

Actually I have found Vista to be excellent even on my old 805D rig with 1 gig of ram and an old 5900 Ultra. Ive been running the last release candidate since it was issued. Vista has a very slick and polished interface and is just as fast as any other OS doing day to day tasks. It has not suffered any stability issues at all and plays every game I throw at it decent enough considering the video card is far from even middle of the road these days. I plan on upgrading to Vista on my main rig, the only thing slowing me down is the cost....not sure why Microsoft thinks an OS is suddenly worth so much money. :shrug:

As far as the P5W DH running Vista I dont see a problem with the 32bit version at all, 64bit might be harder to find drivers.

Just upgraded my test rig to the P5W-DH Deluxe. Didn't want to take apart my main machine till testing the new videocard and motherboard. This thing rocks. However, my Vista install would NOT boot...the old tricks on upgrading motherboads in XP without having to do a complete re-install of the OS didn't work....

The XP partition booted fine, but Vista was hosed. So, just deleted that entire drive and Re-installed Vista and all is now running well again.

So, at least for now, if u are running Vista and upgrade your motherboard, u will more than likely have to re-install the OS then re-activate Vista.

Don't know about the P5W boards but all board drivers where reconized and worked perfectly fine except the quick with the network drivers. Thats about the only thing that needed to be updated for the computer to function "properly". Updated video and sound and it works like a charm. Works perfectly fine in 32 and 64 bit.

I have a dual core 6800 extreme. When I do get Vista, do I go for the 64 bit, or is that only for AMD processors. Not quite sure what the differences are. I am hoping that when I upgrade, the board will work the first time out. I ahve been so busy, I have no time to play with it any more.

Pilot

Pilot53 said:
I have a dual core 6800 extreme. When I do get Vista, do I go for the 64 bit, or is that only for AMD processors. Not quite sure what the differences are. I am hoping that when I upgrade, the board will work the first time out. I ahve been so busy, I have no time to play with it any more.

Pilot
64-bit pal, Intel CPU have been 64-bit capable int he retail market since 6xx series. Some 5x1 ES samples support 64-bit as well.

Ya its more of the question can you more or less disable some things within the 64-bit edition to make it a sutable system. The CPU will support it.

Well 64bit drivers should be ramping up here soon, with the public release of Vista about seven (7) weeks away.

As it is now, drivers are the prob for 64bit Vista, if u install 32bit Vista there is a much larger driver base and if u can't find one u can often times use WinXP drivers. In 64bit Vista, this will NOT be possible.

As of current, I will continue to run 32bit Vista on my Core2Duo setup.

Back