• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ANTI Microsoft xp (probably any MS product)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

lets hear some PRO xp comments geared towards people who seem to be very anti xp (or ms for that matter)

most common are resource conflicts, driver issues, security flaws, or its not as good as linux or a mac. what can be said in xp's defense ?

Last edited:
activation isnt too bad if your lucky and dont come across any issues.. ( I was lucky!) hm.. but the bad part of XP Is... its built in stuff like fire wall/other system tools are worthless compared to some freeware you can get.

Activation is not a nightmare just a little time consuming. Look at the bright side, you get to talk on the phone to someone in a different country who is typically quite pleasant.

One of the things I like about XP. Plenty of documentation. Since it is very aged now and still has official support. So there is still folks making guides and programs to help it along or make is fun to use. Sure there is downers, but there is a lot of good things to.

Alot of stuff just works, it doesn't need drivers. It just loads. Even though it may not be fully there. It does have functionality. My system right after a install everything but the RAID works. So that is a nice plus in my book. It gives you some leway to get everything in. Not perfect, but works more oft then not.

The thing is that a lot of people are politically motivated against MS and most of what you list are just excuses for them to continue in the little world they created. Some of the items listed were true of the past but XP has been improved tremendously over the years.

Modern equipment with SP2 should have no issues with resource conflicts and drivers are developed, deployed and improved quicker on XP than most any other OS. How often does do hardware companies release new or improved Linux drivers?

Security flaws are the tough one but no OS is perfect and a root password is not a savior. If things were reversed where Linux was 95% of the users then Linux flaws would show, the virus authors would take advantage and Linux would be criticized much as Windows is today.

Compatibility and support by hardware and software is unparalleled, nothing comes close. All in all, XP is not the same OS it was 4 or 5 years ago.

stability. 95 and 98 was okay, ME was junk. XP is rock solid, I've never had a BSOD on this build.

Windows has gotten much better in lessoning its core flaws/exploits. Most of the flaws now are geared toward mail and browsers. Some of the 'office type' apps still are not doing well. XP itself is not doing to bad. There is still a few that need to be addressed, but most of them are gone. Kind of took them long enough, but it is not to bad anymore. For a while, it was pure exploit hell. XP is not the same OS as when it first came out. It has undegone alot of changes, and kept the same feel. So that is a plus in its favor.

Think of it like this. Next month we get a fresh grumble about Windows and Office. :D So that is a point in XP's favor. The exploits will lessen even further. As the script kiddies move on to new hunting grounds.

Once nice thing about XP. It has a very mature theme comunity. If you don't want the stock shell. Heck that is another thing. It does have some flex in how you can run it. Though it is cranky at times.

Last edited:
Most everything works right out of the box, be it hardware or software. If it doesn't, the driver/patch is easy to find. It's little to no hassle or headaches on my part. I don't have to think about what's going on. More to the point, compatibility.

When I use Linux, I have to be in the mood for it. I have to be psyched up enough to find a distro, figure out how to install it, and figure out how to configure it. Then I have to work myself up to being motivated enough to Google down some drivers that will make my hardware work. Then I have to find programs. Then I have to figure out how to install those and then configure them. Plus figure out how to use them. Then I have to figure out how the damn folders and files are structured in Linux, if I want to find anything.

With XP, stuff. Just. Works. Going from absolute start to absolute finish takes me a few hours in XP, if that. With Linux, it takes days. I don't have to work up any motivation or excitement to get XP up, running, and working smoothly the way I want it to. I can't say the same for the alternatives out there.

Not that I don't have a host of gripes against MS and Windows, and not that I don't have compliments and support for the alternatives, but this is supposed to be a pro XP thread, so yeah.

I like XP-PRO, it works. Some of the accessories don't work as well as aftem market; like difrag and the firewall. The best part is that M/S backs there system for years. If that doesn't help we all can come to O/C and find help from lots of people.
It's easy to have a hand full of people happy with a operating system; it's hard to make a gazillion people happy like M/S has to do.

its hard to please everyone all the time i believe is his point.

XP is a hell of an OS and dont let some weirdo tell you different. easy to use for basic activity, stable, more support than you can shake a stick at, pretty, customizable, hardware/software compatibility out the whazoo, etc.

its an OS that granny can hop onto and check email, or a seasoned puter pro can get down and get some work done on also.

Stability is it's strongest point. The main thing you have to remember is that windows is very stable. Many people moan on and on about windows being the problem when they're playing the latest game, and it crashes, but the most popular reason for it crashing is the hardware being bad in the form of ram or graphics card. Many people do not realise the BSOD is actually windows signalling that the hardware is bad, not windows itself...

Xtreme Barton said:
lets hear some PRO xp comments geared towards people who seem to be very anti xp (or ms for that matter)

most common are resource conflicts, driver issues, security flaws, or its not as good as linux or a mac. what can be said in xp's defense ?

Barton,

The issues I have had with XP are problems caused by myself. Otherwise, it seems to do what I ask it to do! :santa:

Not everyone is anti-Microsoft

I like Microsoft products. They have made allot of major tech improvements, and at times were the best products out. XP was an amazing OS, up until Mac came out with OS X. I dont like Macs... One button ****es me off, and buying a 2 button mouse for a machine that comes with one button ****es me off allot more. Macs are expensive, and almost everything you use for it must have a damn apple on it.

Linux... Well it would be good if it supported more hardware, installed easier, and played all the games that Windows Does. However, I would not use anything but a Unix Machine for a Database. I just wouldnt run the machine. In fact Linux has the server market down, though the Intranet Machines are often Microsoft, and dotNet works better on MS then Linux.

Windows 95 was a amazing product at the time... It did everything, and was really cool... then it grew old, and others steped up and started beating MS to the game. Then came 2000 and XP. Very stable, and if you know what your doing, it can be secure.

I only use Windows...
Mike

Back