• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-E and D930. Getting angry!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShakyJake

I am getting ready to kick this ASUS board across the room.

History: I've been running a Pentium-D 930 at 4GHz (266 x 15) @ 1.35V for months now on an ABIT AW8 motherboard.

I wanted to do a minor upgrade to my system, so I purchased some DDR2 800 memory (Corsair XMS) and an ASUS P5B-E motherboard (I'll eventually get a Conroe).

This ASUS board *refuses* to overclock this Pentium-D. What am I missing here? I feel like I'm somehow missing some magical setting.

Okay, in the BIOS I've set the FSB to 266 and I set the CPU Core Voltage to 1.35V -- identical to what was set on the AW8. I know the memory is fine (in fact, I tried some different RAM for the heck of it).

I dunno, this makes no sense and I'm furious. Any ideas?

I would suggest bumping the vcore ASUS is known for vdroop. I would try 1.4V.

I increased the voltage, but it made no difference. System won't even post.

I'm at a total loss here. I know people use these boards to overclock C2Ds all day long, but I am getting zero results with my Pentium-D.

The thing I notice, and I mentioned this in another thread with the exact same problem with a P5NSLI board I had, is that the ABIT's BIOS has an option for "N/B Strap" which I set to 1066. The ASUS boards never have such an option and I am wondering if that's ultimately the cause.

Clearly it's an issue with the board's overclocking implementation since I know positively that the CPU is more than capable of reaching 4GHz.

Back