• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS will not recognize more than 1 SATA II drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dandelion

Registered
This is a new build, I had a hard time off the bat getting the BIOS to recognize any drives (this was on the BIOS rev. that my board shipped with). However, once I removed the connection to all SATA adaptors except for the red Intel one, I was finally able to install windows.

Then when I would plug in my second hard drive into any of the black Intel SATA adaptors the BIOS stopped recognizing all hard drives again, and I could not boot windows.

So I updated to the latest BIOS from ASUS, rev. 1602. Now I can plug in hard drives and still have the red SATA adaptor be recognized, but none of the other ones work. The drive powers up fine (I can hear it) but is not recognized. I'm using WD2500KS drives.

Anytime I plug a hard drive into either of the black intel sata ports, the hard drive is not recognized by the bios or windows. I have tried plugging the hard drive into the EZ-RAID sata connectors as well, and it is still not detected by the bios or windows. I have tried multiple sata cables, sata power supplies, and WD2500KS hard drives. But none of these combinations provided any fix. I am on 1602 bios build. I have tried both AHCI and Standard IDE modes. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sounds interesting. Looks like you have done all the swapping a person can do with cables, drives and so forth.

Try clearing the cmos. Unplug the box, move the clrtc jumper to clear and for added insurance take the battery out. Let it set for a minute or so and then put everything back, fire it up and see what happens.

If that doesn't fix then I would say the board has an issue and needs RMA.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't even think or clearing the CMOS, so I did that and also re-flashed the BIOS from a USB jump drive and.......it worked! I don't know what in the CMOS was messing it up, but now my drives both work fine. Thanks a lot for the suggestion S_Wilson. :beer:

I was so releived when it started working, this is a big build for me, with lots of time and energy (and money) put in, so when stuff like that goes wrong I'm sure you all know how frustrating it can be.

Thanks again!

-Dan

Back