• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Task Manger Not Showing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

It's strange I asked on here if I could disabled 1 ATI service Hot Key Poller the person who anwsered said I could also put ATI Smat on manual. So I did and was having problems with my resolution anyways that seems to be sorted as well. But now when I do Ctrl Alt Delete Task manager dosn't show up and my system gets stuck on shutting down.

Try a Windows Rollback... Goto Start HELP and click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore. Pick the last system restore point before you made the errors.

You could do what I often do.
IF you want to REALLY learn how XP runs, this is how you go about doing it, and dont mind spending a few days... do this... It will take awhile, as you learn the aspects of the computer (DCOM, Registry, System Tasks, Startup Tasks, etc)

Go into the event log, its in administration under control panel. Look at the errors that are on the sheet. Then go through each one working with google and yahoo (sometimes you get the answer easy on Yahoo and not Google). Solve each one.

First you need to sort out the system issues, then you got to find out if the application errors in the log are fixed due to the system issues.

If you cant fix one problem, move onto the next, and come back to it later. Then after all this is done, you shouldnt have any system problems, then clear the System Log and Application log, restart, and check for Application Errors...

I usually clear the system log and the Application log, during this process, a few times... so that I know what is coming up, and to help me find out what is the order of things.

When you get Ctrl Alt Delete up, go through each process and search it on google. Find out what it does. If you want MORE information, download Windows Defender, goto advanced, and their is a system explorer in there... I think thats what its called... You can learn even more from that...

Mike

Last edited:
Well ever since I installed this ATI card with the 6.11 drivers it's giving me really tad problems like this task manager. I just switched the resolution back to 1024x768 and did a Windows File Protection scan with my XP CD and restarted. Now Task Manager works again and I can't figure out which fixed it I reckon the scan but who dam knows with this PC.

It now starting to **** me off it it'll show maybe once every 3 boot-up's then will not show what so ever the only way to shut down my PC is to hit the restart button. I know this is going to damage my HDD and I have tried to google for a fix does anyone know how I can fix this.

It just will not let me shut down when it won't show won't even let me log off or restart. It's totally stumping me to what could have caused it the only thing I remember installing last was Heroes Of Might & Magic 5 and it's patch 1.04. I have removed it thinking that it could be what has caused the problem but nope still refuses to load up.

Here's my log from Hijack I also just did a norton full system scan with the latest definitons I am now going to install and run spybot.

UPDATE: Spybot found nothing and I can't think of anything else my mate just sent me a 754 motherboard yesterday. I was gonna format this system but he rang and asked if it had arrived he's also sending me a Sempron 3400+ so instead I've now put my Barton and Motherboard on ebay.

The ATi card is was started this all off in the first place so maybe the SkA board can't handle it I don't know hopefully with the 754 set-up I won't get the same trouble.

Last edited:
You may remove
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

I dont beleive you need
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
any one else?

info on: O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PtiuPbmd] Rundll32.exe ptipbm.dll,SetWriteBack
http://www.file.net/process/ptipbm.dll.html

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/dkicon/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
Can be removed (if you want) but should follow the instructions...

I have never seen these... I dont think they belong, but google them... I dont think you need the Java stuff in there to run Java...
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll

Nothing shocking, though I have to do a bit more digging to be complete...
I would roll back, I keep saying this... If this doesnt work, do a windows repair with the windows disk

Back