• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you ever need more than a 120.1 for just the CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

At least for now, I do not think I would ever WC anything besides the CPU. With that being said, would a CPU alone ever need more than a 120.1? Also, what is about best 120.1 available?

--pak

I used a 120.3 for just the CPU... so no, the bigger the better for a rad. I would get at least a dual fan rad. Best? Depends on your definition, IMO Thermochill PA series are the best.

120.3? Bigger always better? There has to be a point where it becomes overkill.

--pak

Well I think that a bigger radiator gives you more cooling capacity not cooler temps. A system with a larger radiator means more coolant for cooling.
I use a 3x120mm rad just for my cpu. and a 2x120mm rad. for my 7950GX2 waterblock.

pak said:
120.3? Bigger always better? There has to be a point where it becomes overkill.

--pak
A lot of folks would say that water cooling is itself overkill... it all depends on your perspective. One thing you may want to consider, however, is that depending on the chip you're using, you can probably get almost as good cooling on high-end air as you'd get with a 120.1 radiator with a lot less complexity and a lot less money. But, water cooling is a lot more "fun" so it all depends on what your objectives are.

Really it depends on your case size, noise, and other concerns.

I rocked a HE 120.3 back in the day, and that was a lot of fun. Trust me, seeing triple grills up top leading into a rad turned heads.

Or another take on the 120.3 radiator or 120.2 is so you can use slower speed fans and hence quieter fans to achieve the same load temp. for your CPU.

As a side note, do you use high end video cards? If so why wouldn't you use W/C on a video card core? I agree W/C is overkill for most other components, but not CPUs & GPUs if they are high end(Or running high end speeds).

I'm running a 7900gt. I normally run it at 575/1.6, and with my zalman, it never goes over 40c. I just don't see any real difference when I clock it real high. So i just leave it there and it seems happy.

But I like your point about the fans. I could definitely take advantage of using a bigger one to run quieter fans.

--pak

why settle for less, its not like its much more money for a dual rad. and plus. a dual rad is e-penis +2. i was considering getting a dual but then i found a tripples only 10 bucks more for a hell of a lot more performance. so i went for it.

mainly the single rad will only cool your cpu, maybe decently, but not much more than a high-end air. i would rather get a dual rad.

but if you go to a lan and someone see's you have a single rad, i would think he would say "cool" but then inside think "meh, only 1 fan" but if you had 3 fans, then he would be "god i want that"

Let's face it. Most of us are into total overkill.

The key to your question is the term "need". Does a CPU "need" more than a 120.1 rad? NO, it doesn't. If you have a higher cfm fan, a single rad will cool a CPU all day long. Now you may not get the absolute best temps, but if that is not your concern, then a single rad is fine and would perform fine.

Usually a dual rad is a better way to go as it does allow you to use low speed fans and still achieve good cooling. A triple rad for just a CPU is complete overkill.

The best rads hands down are the Thermochill line of rads.

If noise is a concern to you at all, watercooling that VC is the way to go as you can cut the noise to almost nil with a double rad with slow fans and still cool great.

Back