• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Identifying 2003 server vs XP 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

So I bought Windows XP Pro from my university (University of Minnesota) and they gave me two cds. They gave me one for 32 bit Xp Pro and then one that claimed to be Windows Server 2003 for 64 bit. I installed it and the load up screen and my computer properties and everest all say that it is Windows xp 64 bit edition. All the signs say that the cd was wrong but is that for sure?

AFAIK Windows Server 2003 does not have the fancy XP gui (the chunky blue one) and only has the Windows 2000-like GUI. Should be a quick way to check?

Well if it is any version of a SERVER OS it will have options to do things like setup DHCP server, DNS server, AD DC, etc.

If it says XP x64 adnd just has your regular XP software options (DHCP client etc.) then it is regular old XP. If it has the server options, then it is a server OS.

IAmMoen said:
Where would I look for said options

Basically if it is a server when you login it will come with a server configuration wizard. Also check under administrative tools, and Add/Remove programs (Windows Components).

It is most likely just XP Pro x64. I have heard of getting both versions as a part of the Academic Alliance, but the license only being valid for a single install of either version.

Back