• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diffucult Folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zulfy26

(read: corrupt?)

For some reason I can't delete these folders off of my USB drive.

This is what it says:

broken.bmp

and
what.bmp

What.

This is Windows xp sp2

Last edited:
If you have nothing else on that drive try formatting it.
Or run a check disk on it to look for corrupt sectors. You can also try deleting it after booting into DOS

GreenJelly said:
Can you format it?

It gave me a funky error message that the device was in use... so I just end tasked everything that windows would let me and it let me format it.

Seems to be working fine now.

Blah, it happened again. Random files and folders keep getting corrupt and give me that same error message!

I would start out with scandisk. But flash drives can be tricky. Might just be a bad drive, Newegg might let you do an RMA, or you can look on the manufacturer website for further testing/return information. They can usually help you pinpoint where the issue is if it is the drive.

Are you just unplugging it without going to Safely Remove Hardward prompt?

If so, you could be removing the drive while your computer is writing files to the drive, in which case it would cause the files to be corrupt and sometimes undeletable.

Random uplugging could also be caused by faulty USB ports, try a different one, preferably one that is directly on your motherboard (ie not through hubs, or things that are plugged in through cables into the motherboard).

This probably isn't the problem but try it anyway.

Ive never had a problem with my USB flashdrive beign pulled out without following the above steps, but their are some settings in XP that when turned on, delay writing to the disk until their is time for the computer to do so. Most of these features are disabled by default. Many people turn them on when you use a USB. I cant find the settings no more, so I havent turned them on in my config.

I will try it again with the same program I've been running off it, except using the rear USB ports and always safely removing it.

Back