• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UBERCOOL

I am in the market for new tubing and I am just curious what everyones opinion on the best tubing is. I have been using the some 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing from the hardware store but I am not really happy with and I am looking for an alternative.

The best one is masterclear 7/16id tubing but it is real pain to put on and off with plastic barbs.

What wall thickness are you guys talking about? Tygon and ClearFlex60 both have 1/16" and 1/8" wall thicknesses available.

Senater_Cache said:
Tygon is the best as it is most flexible and most chemically resistant.
great alternatives is MasterClear. Another alternative that is very cost-efficitient is ClearFlex60

stickies

I had severe problems with Tygon , which while it does not get 95-100% kinked like PVC tubing it is 'too' flexible and kinked in places that PVC would not have . This definitely reduced my overall flow and I am going back to cheap old PVC or clear flex later this month .

Just to clarify , it is very very difficult to make Tygon kink to the point where no water will flow . But once a watercooling system is well designed , and tubing is cut to the correct lengths factoring in the presence of other components and the case sides ................ PVC will work well enough . But The tygon gave me grief and previously well cut lengths became partly kinked over a month or so .

The masterkleer 7/16th ID tubing is great because you don't need clamps. Just put the ends in hot water for a little bit before you try to put them on the barbs. As for getting them off you'll have to cut the tubing.

If you need really tight bends 1/2" thin-walled Tygon with Smartcoils for the tight spots works well but I wouldn't use it externally. I think I got Masterkleer for the external runs - great stuff ...!

I use Tygon 3603 Tubing 3/8" ID 5/8" OD... I have no issues of kinking and is VERY easy to use.

Immortal_Hero said:
On 1/2" barbs?

3/8" barbs :eek:

I use a dual 80mm rad and a single 80mm rad..My cooling needs are not extensive. I went WC for silence more than performance.

My new WC gear arrived today but i had to go to work :(

so i will report back on how well

CLEARFLEX12 ClearFlex 60 Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD

goes.

3/8" just isnt performing enough for what im doing.

My favorite tubing is:

1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon Silver Antimicrobial Tubing

Its stiff enough not to kink plus it looks awesome.

yhst-65556269779593_1924_24873619

I use "Masterkleer PVC Tubing 1/4" Id, 7/16" Od, 3/32" Wall Thickness" and like it. I have never used Tygon, but I have used tubing from Home Depot and Lowes. The Masterkleer is far superior IMO. I don't have any problems with kinking, and it is so much easier to work with than PVC. Not only that, but it costs $0.28/ft, and I haven't had any problems with staining.

Never used Tygon (haven't dropped almost $3/ft for it :eek:). I have used Clearflex60 1/2"ID 3/4"OD and Masterkleer 7/16"ID 5/8"OD. Both over 1/2" barbs. The Masterkleer is by far superior in every matter besides application. The clearflex is easier to slip over barbs due to it's 1/2" ID, the MasterKleer needs warm/hot/boiling water to aid in getting over some barbs (some I got the tubing on just fine). It's still somewhat transparent (though heavily dyed) after a good 3-4 months of usage. My ClearFlex was completely stained with my UV dye within say... 3-4 days. It's completely opaque. The MasterKleer is just that, very clear. It looks just great :)

Plus, at $.38/ft + ship over at McMaster-Carr, you can't go wrong. I believe I got 20ft for $12 shipped. The part number is 5233K44.

Looks like I am going with MasterKleer. The fact that it is so cheap yet performs well, and not having to use hose clamps anymore is a big +. Thanks for all your input.

UBERCOOL said:
Looks like I am going with MasterKleer. The fact that it is so cheap yet performs well, and not having to use hose clamps anymore is a big +. Thanks for all your input.
You should still use hose clamps - preferably screw/worm clamps ...

QuietIce said:
You should still use hose clamps - preferably screw/worm clamps ...
Yes yes yes! Use clamps that is something too simple to neglect! Better to overkill then underkill and fry your system. I have used it and if you put a worm drive clamp on a plastic barb the tubing literally "bonds" to the barb after about a week. I had to cut the tubing off most of my barbs.

Really? Right now I have 8 barbs in my system on only hose clams on two of them. I have been watercooling on and off for 4 years now and have never sprung a leak after my initial testing. Maybe I have just been lucky and I don't want that to run out so I will definitely look into getting some hose clamps for when I redo everything. Thanks for the advice!

Back