• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Password Protect Win2000 Network Folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kelly Keyboard

Registered
Hi all,

Here is the setup:

PC #1:
Win XP Pro SP2
Workgroup: MS_HOME
IP: 192.168.1.102
PC Name: AMD
User: Kelly Keyboard
Password: jimbo1969 (not real password...am using only for an example)

PC #2:
Win 2000 SP4
Workgroup: MS_HOME
IP: 192.168.1.106
PC Name: FILESERVER
User: Administrator
Password: jimbo1969 (not real password...am using only for an example)

The Win 2000 box is a fileserver and I have a partition on that PC that I want to password protect so that ONLY the Win XP SP2 box can access it.

So basically if you browse the netwrok to this folder I wanrt it to prompt everyone for a username and password.

I have added Fileserver\Administrator and Fileserver\Kelly Keyboard into the permissions and security boxes and granted those users full access.

However, when I browse the netwropk and access the folder for one of the 6 other PCs in our house, they can still can see what's on the partition and access the files.

Any ideas?

Thank you :)
KellyK

Well who are you logged in as on the other machine(s)? If it's one of the two accounts you wish to have access of course they can see it. If its with a different user account then you need to deny/remove their access. If you list all the permissions present on the folder currently and I'll try to help.

Im logged in as Kelly Keyboard on the Win XP SP2 machine and logged in Administrator (which has a password) on the Win 2k machine.

I would like it so that when EVERYONE tries to access the shared network folder on the Win 2K machine from the network it prompts them for a password. Then I'd like to be able to log on using the Administrator account (or Kelly Keyboard) account if possible.

Here's a pic of the permissions:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4411/untitleddx1.jpg

What settings do I need to make?

Cheers

Well you need to set up sharing and security. Sharing makes the folder available, security allows access. Since your not running domain security, your users will have to have local user accounts on the file server.

Make sure the Everyone group is removed as having access (it is there by default). Also, are the users you want to be required password access part of the Administrator's group?

The only way to prompt is by removing a user accounts access, then in order to access the folder they would need to enter the credentials of a different account that does have permission. If you give user accounts access of course they will not be prompted, they already have permission. The problem with this scenario is that if you give a user the credentials of the accoun t with access, they of course have the ability to login as that user so there really isn't any point. Basically Windows doesn't have a good way of doing what your asking.

Back