• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Shutdown Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMatt2600

Registered
I've never had anything like this happen before but recently when I go through the shutdown process after clicking the shutdown button the screen flashes and goes back to the desktop as though nothing happened. After going through the process for the second time it gives me the end program prompt and then shuts down. The weird thing is there is no program running at the time or tasks running in the background. I've done several virus checks and spyware checks all have shown nothing. I've done a system restore to a week before the problem and it still does it. The only other thing I can think of to try to fix it would be to wipe the hard drive and I'm not sure if its worth it. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything its just annoying. Any suggestions?

I've used three different virus scans and four different spyware programs now. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

type eventvwr.msc into your run box and check your system and application logs and see if there are records of what is hanging

Have you changed any hardware or drivers lately. I had that problem with an AGP (socket A) motherboard and put in a PCI (NOT PCIe) video card. I'm not sure if it was the card or its drivers, but on shutdown, it would do the same thing as a restart.

I slapped in an old AGP card, WinXP found its drivers automatically, and no more problems.

I put in this X800 XL card I formatted my system first as I had a slipstream disc with nVidia drivers in it for a 6200. Anyways once it was all done I installed the 6.11 drivers for the Ati card and they system was really sluggish. It took ages for it too shut down and sometimes Task Manager would not appear so I formatted again.

This time I created a new slipstream disc only will SP2 and all the security updates no drivers not even for my motherboard. Everything was alright during XP installation but 1st I installed the latest audio driver and nVmixer. Then I installed the motherboard drivers (- the audio and IDE driver) then latest version of DX9 and finally the ATi drivers.

It worked everything was pefect no sluggish system like it should be nice and fast. I don't know what it was slowing my system down but I think it could be the slipstreamed motherboard drivers I don't know.

you didnt say which programs , but I would suggest Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy . those 2 are both free and both have kept me pretty well cleaned up for many years .
Spybot http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html?tag=lst-0-1

Adaware http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10399602.html?tag=lst-0-1

those 2 should find everything , just remember to update them before you run them .
I have put those 2 proggies on every computer I come in contact with , and never had any problems . I do believe its Yahoo that is the problem , because every time this chick at work has that problem , its always a Yahoo thing. nobody else uses yahoo in teh office , and she is the only one with that problem .
Good Luck

Well there is nothing hung up in the event viewer and I have made no hardware mod except for a new external hard drive. I've used adware's program but I'll try Spybot's SD. thanx yall for all your help.

Back