• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Free Firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I am trying to find the best free firewall out there that has basically low memory usage and very good firewall security. I have Norton IS 06 installed and would like to remove it and put in it's place AVG for a virus software but I am stuck on a firewall. I could put Zone Alarm but I have heard & come across problems the latest version.

So just wondering where else or what else is there for a free firewall is is good.

I used to use ZA Security Suite but after about 2 years of use I finally tried a new one called Comodo because ZA seemed to be losing its quality. As it stands 4 months later there is no way I would go back to ZA unless I was forced.

That was written in May. Sounds like Comodo took the hint. The previous version of my Comodo firewall had the launch pad and people complained, but when I upgraded to 2.3.6.81 the launchpad was removed.

tenchi86 said:
I used to use ZA Security Suite but after about 2 years of use I finally tried a new one called Comodo because ZA seemed to be losing its quality. As it stands 4 months later there is no way I would go back to ZA unless I was forced.

How do you see it losing quality?

It still seems to protect somewhat well, however simple things like the fact that it was taking data of its users and sending it to a secret server in Israel(?) makes me lose some trust. I also feel that it's system configuration and detection rules could of used an update years ago which it has failed to receive, in fact the GUI is the same from at least 3 or 4 years ago. Then there is stuff like on the new versions I closed ZA or it bugged out it would lock my computers internet completely until I restarted ZA which does not go well by me because simply put I prefer to control programs not them control me. In the end though it's just a bunch of small things combined with the lack of improvements that made me want to switch. (really cant give to many specifics as I have not used it for months)

Last edited:
I use the free version of ZA and it works well. I have tried other ones, but I always go back to ZA. I also like ZA's game mode, but I have no clue if the firewalls have something like that.

I stopped using Zone Alarm a few years ago because it seemed to constantly have issues with other programs. Hopefully they have resolved this over time.

I have primarily used Sygate for the last several years and have liked it a bunch. Norton bought Sygate so I don't think it is being developed any longer and if it is will probably become a bloated, no longer free, mess.

tenchi86 said:
It still seems to protect somewhat well, however simple things like the fact that it was taking data of its users and sending it to a secret server in Israel(?)QUOTE]

Is that for Zone Alarm I was using it before I dismantled my Socket A system and sold the Barton and Motherboard. But if thats the case I'll go back to Norton I ain't having software sending my info to someone I don't know.

AngelfireUk83 said:
tenchi86 said:
It still seems to protect somewhat well, however simple things like the fact that it was taking data of its users and sending it to a secret server in Israel(?)QUOTE]

Is that for Zone Alarm I was using it before I dismantled my Socket A system and sold the Barton and Motherboard. But if thats the case I'll go back to Norton I ain't having software sending my info to someone I don't know.

Yes, that is for ZoneAlarm. When TrueVector was introduced people though it may be Spyware but it was later thought a myth, then some months later some more test were done and found out it was actually collecting data and sending it whether you had ZA restricted from the internet or not. However the data was really nothing that could do harm to you and I believe it is now "fixed". The main concern behind it is if they lied then whats to stop them from doing it now. Anyway I will try to dig up a link as it's kind of hard to find the final results thanks to all the sites reporting it when it was a myth.

Back