• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Draining a W/C system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaSsAcRe764

Registered
I have a quick question.

I'm going to buy a W/C kit either today or tommarrow and I was wondering how exactly you are supposed to drain it.

For example, lets say I've had it up and running for a few months and I want to change my loop or add another block, how would I drain the fluid?

Thanks.

MaSsAcRe764 said:
I have a quick question.

I'm going to buy a W/C kit either today or tommarrow and I was wondering how exactly you are supposed to drain it.

For example, lets say I've had it up and running for a few months and I want to change my loop or add another block, how would I drain the fluid?

Thanks.
For me what i do is just put a big bowl underneath the blocks and just pull the tubing off and let all of it spill into a bowl. It doesnt matter to me if the water gets on the blocks or case since it will be cleaned anyway.

However ive seen people include drain ports (although I do not have that)

Sentential said:
For me what i do is just put a big bowl underneath the blocks and just pull the tubing off and let all of it spill into a bowl. It doesnt matter to me if the water gets on the blocks or case since it will be cleaned anyway.

However ive seen people include drain ports (although I do not have that)

Ah ok, thanks a bunch. :)

What i did was i went to Home Depot, picked up a one of those brass hose valves with the red handles. I bought a plastic T-Line and a 1/2in to 3/8thread plastic thing. I put the plastic T-Line at the bottom of my loop, attached like a 4inch tubing section, and screwed on the valve. I tucked it away where you cant see it in my case

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468672&highlight=home+depot

att545839fb3.jpg

att545843pt9.jpg

all i do is get a bucket and put the pump in the bucket and then take off the bottom hose, it all spills out into bucket thanks to gravity, typically only a quick tilt is needed to fully drain it.

The easiest way for setups with internally mounted radiators is going to be to have a T fitting at the bottom of the loop with some way to open up the straight end of the fitting to drain into a bucket. A short piece of hose coming out from the T with a ball valve, hose barb with a cap on the threads, or the like work well. That way you can direct the draining fluid into a bucket easily.

I would just pop the tubing off my VGA block and let gravity do the work. Any block will work fine if you don't have a VGA block... just remove you hardware first...........

Ok thanks guys, really appreciate all the responses.

I'll be getting my Swiftech kit Friday and I was just curious as how I would drain it if I ever got any other sort of blocks. Now I know!

Thanks!

Back