• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR or 640 MB SDRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezman5

I am getting a new motherboard, and was wondering whethere I should get a MoBo that is for DDR, or a new MoBo that is for SDRAM so I can use the 640 MB SDRAM. I know DDR is more expensive...but is it worth it? I have a 1.4 Ghz AMD Athlon.

Thanks

I think its mostly what your using the computer for matters the most... If you want to be up with the newest stuff, play the newest games etc etc, then get DDR stuff. SDram is on its way out... It still does have some life left, but most newer stuff is going the way of DDR ram. And DDR isnt really that much more expensive overall, not if you include the price for quality ratio there... Heck, If you dont want to spend a whole lot right off the bat, you can get boards that support both. You can use one or the other, so use the SD you already have and when you get the money to buy up, you can switch over to DDR. I really cant say if that type of board is really good, havent read anything on them, but its an idea!~!

IFMU

You could get a ECS K7S5A mobo, it will us the SDRAM you have for now, and you can upgrade to DDR later...

Go with the DDR memory !

Under Memory Posts, there are Sandra Bench marks listed.
LOOK AT THEM. The DDR kicks the Dog Snot outta SDRAM.
I should know. I got SDRAM:rolleyes: DDR Memory scores are like twice mine, if not more.

READ, read, and read some more. Get the best Mobo you can afford, and the same for the memory. Most BANG for YOUR buck !

If your gonna BUY now, get DDR.

[soap box mode:\ off]

Has anyone read anything on any of hte motherboards that have sd and ddr onboard? Im still kinda curious about this... Due to having the ability to use sd as well, does it slow the ddr down when you use it?

And just in case, yes I do know that you cant use both at the same time......

well, i'm an Asus fan, so if you still want to use the sdram, try
A7V266...of course your performance won't be like DDR, but for the time being, the mobo will support sdram, until you got the cash for DDR...also, if you are planning upgrading to XP in the future, A7V266-E is ok too....it will support both TB and XP, DDR or SDRam.....enjoy:D

p.s. the iwill XP333-R looks so good:D

Back