• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

***Quick question on Vanilla P5B (RAID)***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FeuerFrei

Hey all,

My friend bought an Asus P5B for his Conroe computer. As it is mainly a gaming computer, he wants to do RAID0. However, when we look in the card specs on Asus site, it looks like we can only do RAID with the JMicron controller, not Intel Matrix Raid. The problem is, this controller is 2-port, one of witch is external. So here are our questions:

1. Can we use Intel Matrix Raid? If yes, how?
2. If not, how the heck can we RAID an internal disk with an external one???

1. I do not believe the board supports Matrix RAID. It has the ICH8 southbridge. The ICH8R southbridge supports Matrix (I think - I am an AMD Guy currently researching a new conroe rig.........)

2. No Idea. Maybe someone else can help.

on the vanilla P5B you can only do RAID on the JMicron controller so there is NO matrix raid. To use RAID you probably need an eSATA enclosure with a SATA hard drive for the external drive and an internal drive that matches. I am not one that would do it but I suppose if you really want RAID and have this board its how it needs to be done.

~jtjuska

Back