• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI/Crossfire chipset support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zazuk

I was under the impression that if you wanted to run SLI you had to have a Nvidia chipset that supported it and if you wanted to run Crossfire you had to have an ATI chipset that supported it. But after reading http://www.overclockers.com/tips1253/
it seems that you can use an Intel chipset to run an ATI Crossfire set up. So is
it that the main board just has to support 2 PCI-E 16x for it to run SLI/Crossfire
Can someone please set me straight.

the chipset does matter but only when looking at pci-e lanes. the 975x can run both cf and sli. for sli though you need modded drivers to have it work. since NV is the only blocking sli driver lvl to not allow sli on intel chipsets. same thing with ati the newest cats allow CF on the 965 boards that have 2 16x slot but only really run 8x and 4x. 965 was never cf certified but it does run it like i said above cause of it being handled driver lvl.

problems arise.
big_sam over at XS does the driver moding and everyone wanting to run SLI on other chipsets have to wait untill he releases a version of NV's bios that works with the cards you happen to want to use. And they won't be futuremark aproved or for the latest and greatest cards (like the 8800's right now)

And the only time it makes sence to run SLI with anything other then the latest and greatest cards is when you can get them dirt cheap (the woot deal on the 7900GS's comes to mind)

Soooo.. If your into the latest and greatest cards in SLI and actually have a use for them (the 8800's are incredibly powerfull for even a single card so you need monster res to need two of them) a Nvidia chipset motherboard is what you need.

If you find dirt cheap older NV cards that works with big_sams current bios running around somewere, go for it :beer: OVERCLOCK them and post up your 3-D SCORES!! WOOT WOOT!! +1!!! :sn: :sn:

Back