• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP boot drivers issue, I'm not a n00b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Something weird has happend.

I used a new version of Raxio Perfectdisk 8 to defrag my XP partition last night.

I didn't reboot at that time.

I unistalled the nVidia drivers from the control panel add/remove software this evening. nVidia said to do it this way :( (I usually use the Device Manager to do this)

Went to reboot and XP hangs as it's loading drivers. Same with safe mode.

Either Perfectdisk moved a driver file and didn't do it right or nVidia screwed a critical shared driver or registry key up while it was cleaning its files.

The really strange part is that none of my XP install CDs will boot past the hardware check, then they just go black screen and die.

A WinPE disk boots just fine and so does the Gentoo Live CD so it isn't my optical drives.

I can go to my Vista installation and back up data and try to redefrag the partition again. I'll also try an offline defrag from within Vista which defrags system files.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Meanwhile I'm also using RyanVM Integrator to make the most up to date XP install/repair disk in case I have to wipe it out and start from scratch.

Problem solved

Well I fixed it by defragging the XP partition with Perfectdisk 8 trial demo while in Vista. Since none of the system files were unmovable, the defrag cleaned it up enough so XP could find the misplaced files again.

Back