• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP: Folder is empty!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello People,

My main folder where I keep all my big download is showing that it is empty.
When I browse to it using My Computer it shows that the folder is empty. The folder is on a HDD that is 270Gb in size and I know that the folder was at least 200Gb. If the folder was indeed empty then I would see the free space in my computer but instead it the same as it was this morning at 27Gb free:cry:

Can someone tell me how to recover the files? It would take me forever to get all the files back.

I am running XP Pro SP2 with all the updates installed, ZoneAlarm AV/FW.

Thank u very much...really need an XP guru's help with this one.

JenBell

I would use WinDirStat to double check where that space is being taken up at.

http://windirstat.info/

If it is really in that folder we can go from there. But I have a feeling that space is actually being taken up by files in a different spot.

I tried the program...showed me nothing useful.

I need to recover the files...200Gb or so worth. I am testing a few recovery programs I googled and seeing what they come up with.

Anyone else got any advice?

Oh and sea...thank u very much for trying to help:-|

GetbackNTFS is probably the best recovery program if you are interested. Also check recycle bin, and I know this may sound weird but run a system restore. I had all my downloads vanish one day and I restored to about a week earlier and they were back.

thanks tenchi...I ran GB and so far it has managed to fully recover (meaning I can play the files) around 120GB of the 214Gb of data. I am still copying it back. My HDDs space is fast running out but I have ordered a 750Gb seagate HDD that should be here on Tuesday. It seems that this problem only happens with large folders. One folder 214GB...is it really that big that xp throws a nut?

Regardless...going to keep folders to a more respectable size on 100Gb.

Thank to everyone for helping out oh and programs to avoid...anything that is not GB:)

I am more than happy enough so far with the data recovered.

Back