• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Asus P5B Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike89

After reading a lot about motherboards, I have pretty much decided on the Asus P5B Deluxe. Seems to be rock stable and a good overclocking board. I am planninig on a Core 2 Duo 6600 and would like an overclock of 3 gig. Seems with that cpu and that motherboard, 3 gig should be easily attainable (plan on using the ThermalRight Ultra 120 heatsink with it).

I see that it only has one IDE connection. I'm getting that this board is actually native SATA all around. I have two SATA HDDs and wouldn't mind going to SATA DVD drives also. From a user review on Newegg, something was mentioned about if using IDE DVD drives a driver is needed to convert the one existing IDE slot from SATA to IDE?

Do I have that right? If using 2 IDE DVD drives hooked up to the single IDE connector, is there a process needed for them to work?

Are any of you P5B owners running SATA DVD drives with this board?

Last edited:
I have it and run 2 ide dvd burners. i installed all the inf updates off the cd that came with it and the IDE works fine right out of the box. i dont have a sata DVD to try with it although I am sure it would work fine. I am actually going to sell my P5B Deluxe as I get about 3 to 3.3 Ghz stable with my 6600. I don't like the Memory strap it uses, and expected more OC'ing potential really. I am going to go for a new NV chip set sometime before the end of the weekend if I have time. I will let you know how they compare if you dont have one by then.

You're ONLY getting 3.3 gig out of a 2.4 gig chip and it's not overclocking enough for you? What exactly are you expecting? I would be happy at 3 gigs.

Explain the memory strap issues you speak of. What don't you like about it?

3Ghz isn't all that high of an overclock for these E6600's. My E6600 on water (not any extreme cooling really) will hit 3861 MHz on my P5W DH Deluxe before the board craps out. I know due to testing from its previous owner that my E6600 will hit like 4.41 Ghz benchable and 4Ghz 24/7 stable on phase. I am actually quite happy with it though at ~3.7 GHz.

~jtjuska

I am strictly an "air" guy (not airhead as my wife says). Water is for drinking and bathing, ain't going near my computer. I got this thing about water and electronics.

3 gig would be fine, 3.2 gig even better.

Now is there a guide somewhere how to overclock this chip? I'm now used to the AMD overclocking so have to re-train my brain again on how to do it and what to look for.

Mike89 said:
I am strictly an "air" guy (not airhead as my wife says). Water is for drinking and bathing, ain't going near my computer. I got this thing about water and electronics.

3 gig would be fine, 3.2 gig even better.

Now is there a guide somewhere how to overclock this chip? I'm now used to the AMD overclocking so have to re-train my brain again on how to do it and what to look for.

you wont' have any problem, barring simply a bunk CPU chip, hitting 3.2 with your air cooling (maybe with some slight vcore adjustments as well). should be a no brainer.

you could leave everything at auto and simply adjust your CPU multiplier and hit 3.2ghz. that is ... again, assuming you have a decent chip for overclocking. i've heard of the rare bad seed cpu that simply sucks for overclocking.

i'm at 3.6ghz 24/7 and that's with a 6400 ...

Some say the multiplier on the 6600 is locked and some say it isn't. Wouldn't it be better anyway (even if the multiplier was unlocked) to adjust FSB to get the desired overclock cpu speed? If it isn't, what do I need to adjust to hit either 3 gig or 3.2 gig? I would want my ram to run synchronis (1/1). Plan on getting 2 gigs of DDR800. I get a little mixed up on DDR2 (since I've never owned any). I assume that's PC6400?

Actually I'm not building this system, my son is. I want to sit back and compare what I have to what he's going to be getting to see for myself if it would be worth it to trade my system (sig below) for his.

Last edited:
Mike89 said:
Some say the multiplier on the 6600 is locked and some say it isn't. Wouldn't it be better anyway (even if the multiplier was unlocked) to adjust FSB to get the desired overclock cpu speed? If it isn't, what do I need to adjust to hit either 3 gig or 3.2 gig? I would want my ram to run synchronis (1/1). Plan on getting 2 gigs of DDR800. I get a little mixed up on DDR2 (since I've never owned any). I assume that's PC6400?

Actually I'm not building this system, my son is. I want to sit back and compare what I have to what he's going to be getting to see for myself if it would be worth it to trade my system (sig below) for his.

dont feel bad, theres still some of us in the 90Nm/DDR days still pounding along with what weve got.

im not a c2d expert at all really, but i think the deal might be that its Locked from going upwards, which means you actually can lower it and shoot for Crazy FSB, but i would wager i got it pretty wrong.

orionlion82 said:
but i think the deal might be that its Locked from going upwards,

That is exactly right and I couldn't have said it better myself. They allow you to adjust downward but not upward except the X6800 and QX6700 which still have a cap to how high they can go to the best of my knowledge.

~jtjuska

dont feel bad, theres still some of us in the 90Nm/DDR days still pounding along with what weve got.
Yes, just taking it a day at a time until we can get our sticky mits on our latest toy:beer: Am looking forward more to around the end of Jan than xms, How sad is that :):bday:

you could leave everything at auto and simply adjust your CPU multiplier and hit 3.2ghz
Lol when i think of the hours i've spent trying to get my opty prime stable @3k :bang head :)

luck Mike89:beer:

Lol when i think of the hours i've spent trying to get my opty prime stable @3k

So what adjustments did you make to get it? That's what I'm looking for, actual settings to adjust, a guide, etc.

Is this just like the my old Pentium 4 2.8c where all you really adjusted was the FSB, setting the strap (1/1, 5/4 etc) and maybe cpu voltage? I don't do too much with the ram settings. On the Pentium 4 2.8, I got it to 3.5 gig running the PC4000 at 1/1 (250 FSB, 250 memory) which is it's rated 250 speed at its stock 3-4-4-8 timings. I didn't even need to up any voltages to get that. On my X2 4800 I had to up the cpu voltage two steps to go from stock 2.4 gig to 2.6 gig, so I know this depends on cpu/board etc.

I believe the DDR2 PC6400 is rated at a higher speed than I would actually need to run it to get 3 gig or 3.2 gig at 1/1?

Last edited:
Mike89 said:
If it isn't, what do I need to adjust to hit either 3 gig or 3.2 gig? I would want my ram to run synchronis (1/1). Plan on getting 2 gigs of DDR800. I get a little mixed up on DDR2 (since I've never owned any). I assume that's PC6400?

(this assumes you have a decent air cooler or otherwise)

to start with ... simply leave everything at auto, memory included and adjust your FSB until your at 3.2ish and see if it will post (boot). if it won't boot, up the vcore a notch, check for boot again ... do this until you have a bootable system and then stabilize it with more vcore if necessary.

you can get into memory tweaks and other voltages tweaks later but 3.2 should be cake with all auto settings.

any one else have an opinion?

What does Auto give as far as ram to FSB ratio? I would want 1/1 if I can get it.

As far as heatsink, it would be the ThermalRight Ultra 120. It should do the trick. :)

Quote:
Lol when i think of the hours i've spent trying to get my opty prime stable @3k

So what adjustments did you make to get it? That's what I'm looking for, actual settings to adjust, a guide, etc.
Sorry won't help u was talking about my AMD rig, am in same boat as orionlion82:)

Mike89 said:
What does Auto give as far as ram to FSB ratio? I would want 1/1 if I can get it.

As far as heatsink, it would be the ThermalRight Ultra 120. It should do the trick. :)

not sure ... i'd think it to be 1/1; mostly the memory [auto] settings simply tells the MB/CPU to utilize ram timings availabe from the RAM SPD ...

i started off my 6400 testing with all auto settings and once stabilized, began to tweak ram and what not. i know the SPD speeds for my mushkin ram are way conservative compared to it's actual ratings of 4.4.3.12 and so was important for me to run manual to get the most out of the RAM.

Back