• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7950gt on Water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctrl_alt_del_

After 10 years of marriage, the wife finally let me spend some cash, so I purchased a XFX 7950GT (LINK) along with a MCW60 and the ramsinkns that come with it.

My question is - how hard is it going to install the waterblock. Well more like how hard is it going to be to remove the passive heatsink from this particular card.

Also, XFX offers a lifetime warranty on the card - do I lose this warranty if I watercool the card? I mean, I don't intend to do anything crazy with the card (volt mods, etc) - just some slight overclocking (going to try and reach 600/800) - I just don't want to void the warranty (great warranty btw) just in case something legit happens to the card.

Thanks for any info!

yea, by removing the heatsink you will void the warrenty, but you could always put it back on if something happens. but if you chip the video card by replacing it then its your problem. and i wouldn't send it in. but if it creates errors at stock. i think its fine to replace the heatsink and send it in.

it shouldn't be hard at all. its probably a few screws.

Wow - finally got the card today - the thing is beautiful. The black PCB is really nice and gives the card a more expensive look... I was able to OC the card to 612/1540 (570/1460 stock) with the passive heatsink just by using Coolbit's auto detect - I also got the MCW60 waterblock and was wondering - would you watercool the card yourself? (question for everyone) - I just fear messing up the warranty but the rewards might be worth the risk... Can you tell I have a problem making decisions? =)

you've already voided the warrenty by overclocking. just take the darn thing off.. but dont throw it away. because you might need it later. if the card screws up or something.

just be carful and take your time.

Does cool bits oc the card depending on how coold the card is?

I wonder if you will get GTX speeds on water?

ctrl_alt_del_ said:
Wow - finally got the card today - the thing is beautiful. The black PCB is really nice and gives the card a more expensive look... I was able to OC the card to 612/1540 (570/1460 stock) with the passive heatsink just by using Coolbit's auto detect - I also got the MCW60 waterblock and was wondering - would you watercool the card yourself? (question for everyone) - I just fear messing up the warranty but the rewards might be worth the risk... Can you tell I have a problem making decisions? =)
My ASUS 7900 GTX also had a lifetime warranty - I water-cooled it w/in a month of buying it. If yours is anything like mine there are several screws to remove and a couple in odd places but nothing a tiny screwdriver can't handle. Just watch out for the fan lead - it'll be down in there somewhere too ...

Only tip I have is to make sure the card is good and hot before removing the HSF. Run some 3DMark or something. This will soften up the thermal pads on the ram and make them come off cleaner. If you can remove them carefully and screw up the card you could always put the cooler back on and RMA. This is a personal decision though as this is unethical. I gotta say I would do it.

Don't bother heating the card before-hand, it'll only give you troubles, I've ruined two too many cards trying that :(

thanks guys - I think I got everything finally together to finish the build. I will make a small build log so everyone can see the results! =)

Again - thanks for all the help!

Installing a WB is pretty easy.

If it has a nasty yellow goop thermal pad on there the only thing I have found that will remove it is 3m General Purpose Adhesive cleaner or you ussually see it sold generacilly as Xylene.

my 7950gt can get 600/800 on air. I'd assume water might let you go higher...so...raise your expectations :)

yeah - I figured as mucg - I put a silent 80mm fan on top of the cool (remember, this is a passive colled card) and was able to hit 618/790...

Hoopefully I will have some time this weekend to work on this project! =)

The interesting thing is - the more I overclock, the lower my scores are on 3DMark 01SE... go figure!

Back