• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Decoders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

codeseven

Registered
I'm using nvDVD 2.0 (version 2.55) to play DVD's on my PC. I dont know how old it is or if nvDVD is considered any good, I'm only using it because I found the disc among a pile of software I had in my desk (must have came with a video card or something). Not knowing anything about decoders, it seems to work fine but, is there some other DVD decoder that most of you are using instead of this one or should I be satisfied with it? Thanks

i'm using nvidia's purevideo decoder, which essentially is the latest version of what you already have. the main difference, i think, is that the purevideo decoder supports hardware acceleration (with added bells and whistles if your video card is a geforce 6 or higher).

Thanks. My card is a 7800 GTX. As far as freeware (cheap a** I know) I have had Media Player Classic and VLC recommended, are they better than nvDVD? Also, my other PC uses XP x64 Pro, are their also x64 compatable DVD Decoders out there?

I use Media Player Classic with a customized install of the full k-lite codec pack, and it plays pretty much everything I want and handles AC3 passthrough over spdif. VLC has it's own built-in codecs and works with anything that MPC doesn't handle for whatever reason. I haven't really seen any reason to use anything else.

use mpc with directshow video mode vmr9 renderless (it's in the options)... this will give you best quality. you can also install ffdshow for some further processing like denoise and upconversion.. don't know if you're interested in that. i have a guide for all this i just made if anyone is interested.

I agree with MPC and VLC. Either is great. With MPC install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and it will play whatever u want. I like VLC cause its just click and go. Never found a media file that VLC wouldnt play.

Thank you fellas, I wont be doing much more than watching DVD's in HD so I think I'll go with VLC.

Mike

Back