• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocker's - Philosophy of a Mad Art?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Guys, keep this one simple. Yes, big sweeping posts and 30 paragraph ideas are nice and all... but i'm looking for 1-2 sentence type of Statements.

The reason? I'm trying to figure something out. I want to be able to give someone a quick, concise, answer for what overclocking means, what it is, and why it's great fun, and why it's ok to be a wee-bit insane about it. I thought I'd come to my fave stomping grounds and ask you all for your opinions.

There is no right answer. There is no wrong answer. I just want ANY answer.

Overclocking, is running your computer faster than it should be run
Fun, because you get to screw around with what you paid for, bang for your buck
Insane, because it helps your e-peen get larger... :p, more or less, its fun and okay to go insane because if you aren't the only one doing it, than its competition, and everyone loves competition

Overclocking, is running your computer faster than the speed at which was sold to you.
Had to fix that sentence because manufacturers in some ways overclock their chips as the product family ages. We're just getting there sooner and for less money.

Overclocking is about one of two things
1) Breaking speed barriers with risky methods
or
2) Getting the most out of your money. Be it performance, reduced noise levels, or building exactly what you need.

The average person only tends to see #1.

Last edited:
I was thinking of a few ways of putting it, and in order to get the point across to those that have no idea what overclocking is, i figure id put it in those words, but Captain Slug is more correct than I am

hainer... as i said in my first post... there is no right or wrong with this. I'm looking for the philosophy behind our madness.

its that little part of you that wants to push every limit possible, make it yours aswell as make it better... Gain the knowlage the understanding. To make it go faster. Speed my friends,.. speed.

Captain Slug said:
1) Breaking speed barriers with borderline insane and dangerous methods

To me its mostly this--but, insane, that's in the eye of the beholder...dangerous, not really.

Since everybody has posted the most obvious answer, I'll try something different.

[Open to interpretation]

Overclocking, for me, defines the thirst to learn, adapt and understand.

Super Nade said:
Since everybody has posted the most obvious answer, I'll try something different.

[Open to interpretation]

Overclocking, for me, defines the thirst to learn, adapt and understand.

Can you define what you mean by adapting? all of us have different views on how we adapt.

I see it as a way to prolong my computer's viable usage. I do not go overboard (the max I will raise my vcore for 24/7 usage is 10%) with my overclocks, but I like to get the most out of my money as possible. I also see it as a hobby that is a ton of fun.

Jon said:
Overclocking = Tomorrow's performance at yesterday's price.
Bingo!

I overclock to forcibly keep my computer up to date.
And when I get a new computer, I overclock it to be better then anything on the market. :attn:

I had this (or something close) in my sig a few years ago...

Overclocking is like breast implants. There might be a little risk involved but it greatly improves the performance of the user.

fabulouscoops said:
I had this (or something close) in my sig a few years ago...
Overclocking is like breast implants. There might be a little risk involved but it greatly improves the performance of the user.
More like your ablity to SCORE! *O-SNAP*

Woah... breast implants are a lot like overclocking... :sn:

But it is a great hobby... that actually has a purpose if you're pulling off decent 24/7 OCs, and it goes well with my other hobby... MAYA.

Wow! i like alot of these replies allready -

but i would have to say that the car analogy works best.

Its hot-rodding for the new millenium.
It's the best way ive found to explain it to the old timers.

there is a catch:
to take the analogy further (and frank, i dont have to tell you this, obviously)

for example the ford 2.0L "pinto/lima" engine. Nearly worthless today, and made 86 Horsepower. Carbeurated.

Now take the Duratec 20 2.0L 130Hp. Exactly.

Its actually a Detuned/Derated mazda MZR engine. Ford "underclocks" the MZR 2.0L at 170HP - though the fact that Mazda "overclocks" the duratec would make a better argument - its bunk... you see what im getting at frank.

Back