• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-Treading My Rad...what bit to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Well...this is my very first rad that I used for WC...so the mounting holes are kinda borked. I'm wanting to re-thread them...so I can re-use the rad. Should I just use a regular drill bit and find a complimentary screw to fit the hole drilled or can someone make a suggestion? I noticed it was hard to find matching screws to holes drilled before.

#6-32 is the standard case screw so use the #6-32 tapping bit. Most radiators have that as well and running the tap through the holes should fix the problem.
If you drill them out you obviously would have to go to a larger screw size, which may not fit through the mounting holes on fans.

Well, I went back to the original screws I tried to use which were much to big, re-tapped to one that looked close and it fits perfectly :)

NOW that it's mounted...leak testing the rad now to make sure I didn't damage any of the tubes...

Back