• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

975xbx problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mendax

Registered
Hello,

could someone please help me with the problem here? I know it will be difficult to pinpoint the exact problem, but I would be thankful for hint or direction too...

I am trying to upgrade my system here. 2 new things I brought in are 975XBX mobo and C2D E6600. I have put everything together, nothing seems to be wrong, but when I push the power button, all the system does is to spin the fans and then it stops again.

I suspect my power supply a bit, because everything else seem to be OK. It's an Enermax Nooise Taker 420W (http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=20). From the power perspective it should be OK, but I am not sure about the cables. One I seem to miss is a 4x2 processor power connector on the motherboard, but the one coming from PSU is only 2x2.

Could please someone confirm my suspicion or tell me this is not it? And if it's the power supply, please recommend some other. If it's not the power supply, please tell me what else it could be...

Thanks a lot!

Erm.. you need a PSU that has a 8pin power plug, or the 2 x 4power plug.

so connect the Peripheral plug in to Mobo instead.

molex%20connect.jpg

There should have been a 4 pin (2x2) to 8 pin (4x2) adaptor cable that came in the box with the motherboard. This plug supplies the power to the CPU voltage regulators. If you can't find the one that came witht the board, just buy another one, or get a newer power supply with a 24 pin main plug, and an 8 pin CPU plug.

BTW, UglyChild, that 4 pin molex connector on the motherboard is for extra power to the PCI-Express slot for video cards that don't have an extra power connector on them.

Rocinante said:
There should have been a 4 pin (2x2) to 8 pin (4x2) adaptor cable that came in the box with the motherboard. This plug supplies the power to the CPU voltage regulators. If you can't find the one that came witht the board, just buy another one, or get a newer power supply with a 24 pin main plug, and an 8 pin CPU plug.

BTW, UglyChild, that 4 pin molex connector on the motherboard is for extra power to the PCI-Express slot for video cards that don't have an extra power connector on them.

Thanks a lot Roci, the box included so many things I overlooked this one in the mess. Now it seem to work. MB makes some funny noises, but I will figure that one out now that it runs...

To be honest, I plug in the 4 pin molex plug anyway...more power is always better... isn't it???

Glad you got it running...

What "funny" noises are you hearing??? The board should be silent. Mine doesn't even beep when booting...

Back