• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Davevava

Registered
I am looking into WC.

But I would like to find something that will control my pump and Rad fans from the Comp on/off button as well as give a 20 sec on delay for the MB so as the pump and everything can get a good flow going and a 10 minute or so Off so as it can keep cooling after i turn the comp off.

Kinda like a car drive for 10 minutes after u start it and then shut it off for 5 minutes when u start it back up the temp will be higher then normal.

Any suggestions?

Nothing in the computer heats up fast enough that the delay when you turn the computer on would make a difference--think about it, in an air cooled system the fans don't start before the system starts to boot. The same is true when you shut down. Turning everything off means no more heat source, it can't get any hotter so if it takes 2 minutes to reach ambient or 30 minutes, it really doesn't make any difference.

There is no reason to introduce complexity where it doesn't serve a real purpose. Do your shaving with Occam's razer.

Edit: BTW, I almost forgot :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

This is really kinda pointless complexity since the fluid in a good watercooling system never gains more than a degree of heat when it flows through the loop. If it keeps getting hotter, there is something not right with the watercooling.
If you really need somthing this fancy, go pickup a promethia or vapochill. they have auto on delay since they have to cool from room temp to -40 before you turn on the comp.

Valk said:
This is really kinda pointless complexity since the fluid in a good watercooling system never gains more than a degree of heat when it flows through the loop. If it keeps getting hotter, there is something not right with the watercooling.
Actually, if ambient is, for example, 23°C and the water cooled computer reaches equilibrium at 34°C the water temperature will rise 11°C if the computer has been off for a while and the water begins heating from ambient. But, even if the system reaches equilibrium at 45°C at full load, once you turn it off, all the temps start to decrease and keeping the water flowing doesn't really do anything. All the components will decrease down to ambient whether the water is flowing or not so why waste the energy pumping water if it isn't necessary?

You haven't told us what kind of pump you have. If your pump is DC, it already turns off with the computer on/off switch as do the fans. If it is AC, you need a relay.

Davevava said:
I am looking into WC.

But I would like to find something that will control my pump and Rad fans from the Comp on/off button as well as give a 20 sec on delay for the MB so as the pump and everything can get a good flow going and a 10 minute or so Off so as it can keep cooling after i turn the comp off.

Kinda like a car drive for 10 minutes after u start it and then shut it off for 5 minutes when u start it back up the temp will be higher then normal.

Any suggestions?
The car analogy is a bad one. 1000+ degrees, 500+ pounds of iron, and just a few gallons of water.

A little known and undocumented feature of SpeedFan is its ability to continue to monitor with the computer in standby.

Pump and fans off, standby for 10 min. CPU temp drops immediately.
They actually drop to about 2*c over ambient in 15-20 min.

Attachments

• Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 109
billb said:
The car analogy is a bad one. 1000+ degrees, 500+ pounds of iron, and just a few gallons of water.

A little known and undocumented feature of SpeedFan is its ability to continue to monitor with the computer in standby.

Pump and fans off, standby for 10 min. CPU temp drops immediately.
They actually drop to about 2*c over ambient in 15-20 min.

An easier way to demonstrate CPU temps is just run Orthos or some 100% CPU based program and open up your temp monitoring program and set the monitor polling to every half second then boot up the program, let it run then cut it off and watch the CPU temps drop extensively in a matter of seconds.

WonderingSoul said:
An easier way to demonstrate CPU temps is just run Orthos or some 100% CPU based program and open up your temp monitoring program and set the monitor polling to every half second then boot up the program, let it run then cut it off and watch the CPU temps drop extensively in a matter of seconds.

"get a good flow going and a 10 minute or so Off so as it can keep cooling after i turn the comp off."

He needed to know what happens to temps after the computer shuts off, not when the CPU goes to idle. Those are two different things.

billb said:
"get a good flow going and a 10 minute or so Off so as it can keep cooling after i turn the comp off."

He needed to know what happens to temps after the computer shuts off, not when the CPU goes to idle. Those are two different things.

I was just stating how the temps drop dramically, be it load/idle and idle/off..

My powerstrip is wired through a lightswitch on my desk, and my pump, rad fans, and computer are plugged into the strip.
I turn on the switch, and my 110v pump and rad fans go on, then I can turn on my computer. I cannot move fast enough to turn on the computer without the pump having been on a few seconds already, because the switch is at the other end of my desk.
I turn off the switch after the computer has done it's windoze shutdown.

Nice and easy, and mistake proof. And no counting on mechanical relays working forever 100% of the time.

Back