• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another p5b vs wdh question..crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darufe

I was trying to choose between the p5b and p5w dh (going for a e6600 most likely unless someone can convince me im better off ocing a 6400? lol)

And i came across the product features for the w dh

PRODUCT FEATURES:

LGA775 socket for Intel Core2 Duo, Core2 Extreme and next generation Multi-Core CPU;
Intel 975X +Intel ICH7R;
1066/800MHz;
Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/ 533 max 8GB;
2 x PCI-E x 16 / 2 x PCI-E x 1/ 3 x PCI;
Support ATI CrossFire graphics cards; <-------------------------
Intel Matrix Storage technology;
Dual Gigabit LAN;
Dolby Master Studio technology;
ASUS EZ-Backup;
ASUS Digital Home features.

The reason im wondering about this is that im going for a x1950pro for now since i want to wait for the ati dx10 cards to come out and the newer crossfire chipsets support using the second card as a physics card.
If the w dh can do this i think ill fork out the $$ diff for the dh.

If not then i guess ill go more for the p5b deluxe

P5b deluxe supports crossfire but it will give lower perfromance than p5w dh with the same setup.

The p5b has only 4x electrical connection to the second 16x physical slot. The p5w had 8x to each slot.

I don't know if a 1950 pro will need the bandwith of 8x. But i wouldn't try it, just get the p5w.

I also think you should save yourself $100 and get the e6400 instead of the e6600. I have yet to see a bench where the extra 2mb of cache makes a real difference.

The reasoning I might push for a 6600 if your board of choice is the P5W would be the higher multi... P5W tends to top out before the P5B by a fair amount... Mine only goes to 429 FSB which on a E6400 would be 3.4 Ghz, so if you are happy with around that then the P5W is a great board and so is the E6400. You really can't go wrong with either board but the P5W you will probably be a little happier with.

~jtjuska

zebkoolindc said:
The p5b has only 4x electrical connection to the second 16x physical slot. The p5w had 8x to each slot.
4x on the second gfx has little to due with slower graphical performance on p5b dlx. P5w with both cards running at 8x has about at best 1% better performance then when running one at 8x and other 4x. The problem on p5b dlx and crossfire involves p965 chipest and ich8r

965P chipset though is an advantage with the E6400 since it has a higher likelyhood of hitting higher FSB speeds.

I have though about going to a P5B a couple times from my P5W. I think instead though I am going to buy a DFI with RD600 and see if that can push me to 4 GHz with my C2D.

~jtjuska

jtjuska said:
965P chipset though is an advantage with the E6400 since it has a higher likelyhood of hitting higher FSB speeds.

I have though about going to a P5B a couple times from my P5W. I think instead though I am going to buy a DFI with RD600 and see if that can push me to 4 GHz with my C2D.

~jtjuska
Did you try pencil vcore mod on your mobo

No, my chip isn't the problem... it was perfectly happy at 3.8 with about 1.46ish I tried the vcore at 1.55 when I tried for 430 bus, all the FSB, MCH, ICH voltages were maxed, I even had the noisy 10k counter rotating fan on the NB running ;). I will try again here once I get my water loop refilled after putting the PA120.3 in place of the BIP2.

I will definately look up more mods for the board as all it has done is a vdimm mod.

~jtjuska

Back