• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Running A Different Race"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01077/

Well this is going to really upset those die hard AMD fan-boys.

But that's more of a perception issue on their part.

They falsely perceived that AMD cared about them.

AMD cares about AMD only. Intel has always cared only about Intel.

That's just the way is in the business world.

Now it's my business to get the most bang for my bucks and so I only care about myself and don't worry if AMD or Intel will make or lose money on the deals I make.

Too bad AMD has thrown in the towel so to speak. Now Intel can relax and slow down all the new innovation release rates.

I wonder if Intel will start jacking up prices on C2D now that AMD is not trying to compete?

Audioaficionado said:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01077/

...AMD cares about AMD only. Intel has always cared only about Intel...
I wonder if Intel will start jacking up prices on C2D now that AMD is not trying to compete?

The enthusiast market is a very small, albeit noisy one. Intel, like AMD will continue embrace the time-tested economic formula of low-margin, high-volume and hence, will continue to focus their efforts on the OEM providers first and service enthusiast needs as an afterthought.

It's possible that the price of C2D (and AM2/3, by extension) may be influenced more by the buying strategies and policies of the large-volume buyers than it will from small niche markets, since Intel has a significant vested interest in continuing to supply the OEMs.

I have stated this elsewhere, but I think it applies here as well. While AMD might be dropping out of the race for speed, they are starting a new race for Features. I don't think they are out of the game. They are just playing a new version. If they can make new inroads to the OEM's then believe me Intel will follow in some way. As long as AMD is still making some sort of chip, they will help to keep Intel's prices down.

I think this is leading to the predictions made by Ed and Joe, about how we are going to start seeing niche computers. Intel will be king of the gamers. AMD will be king of the Joes. and they will share a market of the tech savvy Joes in between. Look at how Microsoft is divvying up the os now with Vista. I think we will soon start seeing chips marketed like this. The Gamer line, the Home line, and the Business line. Each line optimized for it's particular work type. Prepare to say good bye to the Personal Computer and prepare to welcome in the Personal Console. Expect to see chips based no longer on raw speed, but raw features set. The one with the most toys, wins.

Back