• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First wc... question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Ok so i ordered the parts necessary to wc my rig (the one i have in the Project Logs). Here's a list though:

Pump: MCP655
Res: Swiftech Micro MCRES
Tubing: 1/2" ID Tygon
Rad: Black Ice GT Stealth 240
CPU: Swiftech Storm

So here's the deal, right now I have the above parts on order (waiting for delivery) and have 2 of the Radiators. My plan with the mod was to run both radiators simultaneously. Basically one barb on the rad outputs to the other rad and then the loop continues from there. Does any see any problem with this?

My reason for this is i am going for silence, I don't have room for a triple so i decided on 2 doubles, also i'll be cooling either an 8800 GTS or an 8800 GTX.
As for the flow i was planning on going from Res -> Pump -> Rad's -> CPU -> GPU. Does that look alright as well? Is there anything I should watch out for? Thanks for the input, and yes i read the stickies. lol.

Should be fine. You can actually put the stuff in pretty much any order you want to keep the runs of tubing shorter. Res before Pump is probably the most important placement.

looks good, but be a tiny bit careful with wasteful tube use, a 655 can hadle a lot, but a storm and a two rads will be pushing it a little, but not a big issue overall

post pics and temps when your done!

Looks good. I always like to set mine up so the water is going to the blocks from the radiator

Device order should be dictated solely on avoiding sharp turns anywhere in your loop. The only item placement that has any functional effect is to place your reservoir or T-line as close to the pump inlet as possible to facilitate more efficient bleeding of air.

A water-cooling loop doesn't have a thermal gradient that would incline any particular order of individual parts that would positively influence temperatures. Setting up your loop with restrictive tight turns however would have a hugely negative effect.

Whats the general consensus on 90 degree fittings? I may need 2 of these in the loop. Any issues with the above configuration and the 2 90's?

phantasm said:
Whats the general consensus on 90 degree fittings? I may need 2 of these in the loop. Any issues with the above configuration and the 2 90's?
Im using unfortunatly 4 90*s and it doesnt appear to be affecting my temps by terribly too much. My GPU temp is excellent but my processor temp is on the high side. I dont know if its a result of low flow or not, my guess is that my IHS is messed up.

4od said:
looks good, but be a tiny bit careful with wasteful tube use, a 655 can hadle a lot, but a storm and a two rads will be pushing it a little, but not a big issue overall

post pics and temps when your done!

So would say that an Apogee is a better choice in CPU block for this configuration?

Na! The MCP655 will easily handle it all, don't worry about it.

The 90° bends are equivalent to ~1' of tubing if it's a radius 90 (like copper elbows) or ~3' of tubing for angled 90's (like most plastic fittings). 1' of 1/2" tubing has a pressure drop of ~0.03 psi @ 1.5 GPM flow. For comparison @ the same flow rate an Apogee has a 1± psi drop and the Storm has a 3.5± psi drop. I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of 90's but note the copper bends are slightly better if you can use them ...

Back