• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Frog

Thermaltake waterblocks EDIT: custom watercooing?

I read a few posts and everyone seems to dislike Tt with a vengeance. But I was just wondering what people think about the new water blocks they have http://thermaltake.com/product/Liguid/Upgrade/cl-w0087/cl-w0087.asp

The reason I would go with Tt is I can get it wholesale, where as everything else watercooling is retail for me.

My other thought is go totally custom and make my own water blocks and use a cars heatercore as a radiator, but of cause buy a proper water cooling pump.

Last edited:
All of their blocks are garbage and have been from the beginning. Everything they make in that area is nonsensically counterintuitive to cooling performance and functionality (1/4" ID tubing? What would be the point in water-cooling with tubing that small?).
Even at wholesale I wouldn't use any of the water-cooling stuff they make. If I was on a tight budget I'd opt for a heatercore ($14), a Via Aqua 1800 pump ($20), a D-tek Whitewater ($20 with delrin top), make a mounting plate for that block, then add some 1/2" ID Masterkleer tubing ($0.61), and whatever nylons fittings I need.

Last edited:
I have this heater core out of a Subaru
heater_core.jpg

It's cooling area is 180mm by 165mm by 30mm. Do you think that this would give enough flow and cooling area for 2 video cards and CPU?

For quite pumps, what do you suggest? Are those Aquarium pumps quite?
I saw this on a website "The Poseidon Series water pumps are highly energy efficient and ultra-quiet (less than 30 db)." 30dB is way to loud for me, is that what they normally are?

Unfortunatly you're not going to find any usable pumps that are quieter than 30dB. You'll either have to noise insulate whatever pump you use, or stick with Air-Cooling with huge heatsinks and 120mm fans.
And using a heatercore requires alot of adaptation to not only adapt the barbs but also to get it shrouded and mounted in the case. They work great and I'm envious of the huge one you have there, but keep in mind the work involved.

It's going in a complete custom case anyhow. I built my last case from scratch, and the new one will be the same, only less pretty.
The heater core uses 10/16th's piping. But if all else fails to adapt that, I'll braze on some 1/2" fittings.
The hunt for a pump commences.. :sn:

Captain Slug said:
Unfortunatly you're not going to find any usable pumps that are quieter than 30dB. You'll either have to noise insulate whatever pump you use, or stick with Air-Cooling with huge heatsinks and 120mm fans.
And using a heatercore requires alot of adaptation to not only adapt the barbs but also to get it shrouded and mounted in the case. They work great and I'm envious of the huge one you have there, but keep in mind the work involved.

If I am not mistaken, the 10w DDC is rated at 24-26db. It is a VERY quiet pump. Also remember that db ratings do not necessarily tell the whole story. The quality of the sound has a big effect also. The DDC 10w does not have a high pitch to it whatsoever which contributes to its quiet.

The 18w DDC+ is just a bit louder with quite a bit more flow and pressure, but probably still is just below 30db. Pair this pump with a Petrastechshop or Alphacool top and you have about the best pump for watercooling available. The aftermarket tops drastically increase the flow of the DDC pumps.

Silent Frog said:
Good point. Higher notes always seem to sound louder. I was just thinking it would be worse then my 27db cpu fan.

I seriously doubt your cpu fan is only 27db. A yate loon at 12v is only 28db, and that is not that loud. Unless you have a large CPU cooler like a thermalright 120 or such which uses a 120mm fan, your cpu fan is going to be a lot louder than that.

It probably is, it's a Tt 92mm fan. I think the ratings are just guess work -10dB
I'll have to check out some pumps. Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be playing around for the next couple of months setting the cooling up, and by then I will have enough money to upgrade my AMD XP :eek:

Miketech said:
i purchased the thermaltake armour LCS thats the custom version with large radiator in the front and i was impressed with the waterblock. it came with 12 mm connectors already fitted to it. no mods required for my setup .
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/watercooling/cl-w0010waterblock/enlargedView.htm

hey, i purchased that same case for the same reason. Then was reading all the stickeys about water cooling and am going to revamp the setup. So i will have the tt setup as an extra if anybody wants it.:santa2:

Back