• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starter WC System for new cumputer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Komrade

Registered
Hey everyone, jsut signed up cause i have a question, im planning on buying a new computer cause my old p4 is getting slightly too old. Im probably going for the AMD X2 64 bit pros., no idea on the mobo and other details, i know sounds so general btu bare with me here. my ultimate dream was makign a totaly silent system, i dont plan on overclocking, jsut stock but somthing with balls so i can play games. So i was looking into the new Zalman Reserator 2, which basically is ideal for what i wanted to do but since i have 0 clue about WC could u plz recomend something.

This one doesnt look bad, but again im trying to be the stealthiest guy out there ;). If anyone knows about this Zalman system could u tell me whether it will do me ok for a stock comp. or the media of full of it. I am always sketched out about trying things that cant be returned in store cause well, im not that rich

The Zalman Reserator is about as good as High-end air cooling. If you want "ok" cooling buy a good heatsink and fan and save $200.

If you want "good" cooling buy the kit Nick linked.

So you have to ask yourself do you want ok, or good.

If you want "great" cooling go talk to the Extreme cooling guys and you will spend $800 and be able to chill your beer with your computer. :beer:

That kit posted above is really quiet too.

The Reserator 2 is not going to fair any better than top of the line air cooling equipment, and won't be able to handle cooling your video cards without raising your temps a good deal.

Last edited:
Thats the thing i already have a Zalman 7000, i think, one of those pure copper 92mm flowers. its ok i have a P4 D 3.0 and i run about 45ish idle, which is totally fine by me, so if this reserator 2 can do the same to my computer but be 100% silent ill be the hapiest guy ever

I like that system suggested, just wish it looked as slick as the zalman one, but i guess tahts what 200 bucks extra gets u , s little more slick :) Also waht kinda coolant fluid woult be good to use, w/e comes with the kit or something fancy?

touche, function. but of course form would be nice, but cant win em all can i now. do u have any other recomendations for installing this stuff, cause im afraid of a leak

Komrade said:
do u have any other recomendations for installing this stuff, cause im afraid of a leak
With the tubing included in the kit (7/16" ID) all you have to do is dip the ends of the tubing into some really hot water before pressing it over the barb fittings. It's a very tight fit over the barbs and won't require the use of clamps. Many many people have used this tubing leak-free for years at a time in the same manner.

what about priming stuff, cause i read reviews and they jsut dump in water and turn it on, any cleaning that i have to do first?

You're buying new parts so no cleaning needed.
0. Mix up your 10% antifree/90% distilled water/+3 drops of iodine

1. Simply get everything setup on your hardware (block mounted in the right places, radiator mounted to case).
2. Measure and cut your tubing lengths then use the hot water method to get them onto the barbs.
3. Then fill the loop as far as it will fill then power up only the pump.
4. Just keep topping off the loop from the T-line if it gets too low.
5. Plug the T-line end once you stop seeing bubbles escaping through it and then tip everything around abit to make sure there are no bubbles trapped.
6. You're done.

ok thanks a lot for your help, gotta go sleep now, tomorrow big day of shoping. see ya later

Slug's steps are very good but personally, I like to cut everything dry, then pull out THE WHOLE loop from the case and fill it that way. This way I can move everything around freely and get all the bubbles out much faster,

WonderingSoul said:
Slug's steps are very good but personally, I like to cut everything dry, then pull out THE WHOLE loop from the case and fill it that way. This way I can move everything around freely and get all the bubbles out much faster,

yea, taking your w/c loop out of the case would be a lot better, but in my case because my rad is mounted on top of the case its impossible to take the rad off without cutting the tubing. (the case is way to small to fit it inside, man i can't wait untill my woody is done)

not to hijack the thread or anything. but what kind of iodine do you guys use? stuff from the aquarium store? petstore? homedepot?

:welcome:

Water-cooling works great if implemented correctly. Don't rush your research and be sure to read and re-read the "stickies" and use the "search" function to help answer some of your questions.

Any of the kits from Petra are good choices and his tech support is superior.

Hey guys im back and finally with enough sleep after finals. BUT i still wanna get the damn reserator 2, it just apeopls so nicely to me, dead silent and jsut cause i dont intend on OC i think it should work jsut fine, my ambient temp is like 20ish maybe less cause im in a basement. just today though i read that the pump only has .5m head, damn that sucks so i guess ill have to have it same lvl as the pc, thats ok. Another thing i read is that i wont really be able to go 100% fanless just cause of other crap heating up.

Do u think if i also get a NB water block i would be able to go 100% fanles son it. Cause i jsut dream of a totaly silent computer, i end up studying a lot and have to use the comp and man these fans **** me off so much i end up turning them off leaving only my zalman copper flower running and the fans in the old PSU and even that anoys me when im trying to learn. I looked at some charts for the reserator and well with my ambient temp is outperforms air cooled units (stock ones probably) but still it does it silently.

So im hopng u experienced guy will be able to tell me if my stealthy project can happen, and if not then i migth as well go cheaper annd get a radiator with fans

Seems like you're trying to convince the rest of the world that the Reserator 2 is the kit to get. If you're so determined to get it after a few good suggestions for other kits were mentioned, then why keep asking about the Reserator? You're gonna get more recommendations for other kits before getting recommendations for the Reserator. I'm not saying that the Reserator is a bad choice, but you're dealing with a lot of DIY'ers in this forum.

You can get a decent radiator and use lower cfm fans especially if you're gonna run stock speeds.

Where is a good site to look for these other kits, cause i live i Calgary and the stores we have hear only sell Koolance kits that mount to the top of the tower. I kinda like the idea of making my own assmbly instead of a kit, does anyone know the NTZX Lexa case, i think it look spretty damn slick and im wondering is it possible to buy individual part and stick them into the case so its always one unit?

Rad: Black Ice GT 120.3
Pump : Swiftech MCP655™ 12v
Res: Thermaltake AquaBay M1 2U
CPU block: Danger Den TSX A64
NB: Danger Den MAZE4
VGA: Thermaltake Aquarius II VGA

I looked aorund on Frozen CPU and well this is the kidna stuff i came up with. The res i chose jsut cause it looks cool adn got a flow meter, the blocks well i have no idea about so i jsut picked some that looks nice VGA i chose cause it lookes like it can be mounted on jsut abotu any videa card so that i like, in case i wanna get a diff one in the future.

People, waht do u think abotu this stuff?

Back