• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC wont Post and No monitor Display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdonnel

Today my power supply went out on my PC and I replaced it. I installed the new one and powered it up. I have all drives and fans up and running on the MB but the system will not do the POST and I get no beep. There is also no video coming on my monitor. I looked over the MB for blow capacitors, scorch marks, etc and nothing. There was no lightening strike and no surge here at my home when it happened. The PC was in hibernate mode, I went to wiggle the mouse to bring it out of it, and then the PC just shut off. Any ideas before I go pay for a technician to look at it? Thanks.

:welcome: Welcome to the forums!

I've dealt with this myself so try the following:

1. Reset CMOS by unpluging the PSU cable from the motherboard, then removing the CMOS battery and setting the CMOS clear jumper to CLEAR. Then reinstall the battery, re plug the psu cable and reset the CMOS jumper to RUN. If that doesn't allow post then go to step 2.
2. Remove everything from the motherboard. Then re install only the CPU with headsink/fan, 1 memory stick and the video card (unless you have built in video). Try booting and see if you get post. If so, then add components one at a time to see if you can isolate the component that is causing the issue.
3. Double check the output of your new PSU using this.
4. Try uninstalling the motherboard to see if there are any blown components or burned traces on the back, also see if there is a possible short to the chassis (don't know why but I've seen wierder things).

Good luck.

Thanks Dukeman. I did exactly as you had stated and I still could not get the PC to POST. So no change. I dont trust myself with my volt meter so I will be taking it to the Technician tomorrow. I was nervous about pulling the MB out since I have never done that. Just replaced components like the drives, video, RAM, and Modem.

Back